My sons new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annakhil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, this is the tank I got for my 3yr old, he LOVES fish and I decided he was old enough to enjoy them at home. I'm cycling it right now, just ordered a different heater so I can monitor the temp better. I want to get him a few platies maybe a flaming red and a Micky mouse, and a Dalmatian Molly with a few ghost shrimps. What do y'all think? Too many? Can I put more?
I really appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• image-2839772076.jpg
    image-2839772076.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 164
Hi, this is the tank I got for my 3yr old, he LOVES fish and I decided he was old enough to enjoy them at home. I'm cycling it right now, just ordered a different heater so I can monitor the temp better. I want to get him a few platies maybe a flaming red and a Micky mouse, and a Dalmatian Molly with a few ghost shrimps. What do y'all think? Too many? Can I put more?
I really appreciate any advice.

Perfect decor for a 3 yr old. :fish2:What size tank is it? That'll better help people give you stocking ideas.

I think platies and guppies with shrimp would look good. Maybe a dwarf gourami . I wouldn't do mollies because they need brackish water.

Tank size? Also I think most mollies need salinity, no? Have fun

Mollies do not require brackish but they have a large bioload so require at least a 20 gallon tank.

I'm questioning if I want to do more fake plants or put in live for the shrimp, I'm just not sure what do you think

Annakhil said:
I'm questioning if I want to do more fake plants or put in live for the shrimp, I'm just not sure what do you think

Id do live if you have the right lighting. I grew cabomba for months with that same light before it started to die randomly. I even had new growth. I'd try some anubias and java ferns first though

Neon tetras (and all tetras) require a school of 5, but 6 is better. I usually do 8. My suggestion would be to go with either the neons or the platies, not both.

So I think I'm getting them mixed up but are the neons the same as the little glo fish? That's what I thought I was refereeing to

LyndaB said:
Neon tetras (and all tetras) require a school of 5, but 6 is better. I usually do 8. My suggestion would be to go with either the neons or the platies, not both.

+1 to this. I'd suggest 6-8 neon tetras, and if it's not planted some mystery snails. You could do a Betta fish too but be careful in case the neons nip the betta's fins

Annakhil said:
So I think I'm getting them mixed up but are the neons the same as the little glo fish? That's what I thought I was refereeing to

Neons are neon tetras that have that blue stripe on them. Glo fish are different.

I think glo fish would be fine. It is a ten gallon tank, and they are bigger than people think.

Brandon K.A said:
I think glo fish would be fine. It is a ten gallon tank, and they are bigger than people think.

No glo fish are just fluorescent zebra danios, which need a 20 long. Glo fish aren't any different

Back
Top Bottom