My Tina Tropical Day-Blooming Water Lily Finally Bloomed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrandonMD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just had to tell someone……

My Tina Tropical Day-Blooming Water Lily Finally Bloomed!

I purchased my Tropical Day-Blooming Water Lily at a local pond store around the end of September. It was fully developed and much too big for my 65g aquarium as expected. After lots of pruning and cleaning, I planted it in my aquarium. The fist few weeks were slow as it adapted to the new environment. After 6 weeks of nourishment and care, it finally bloomed. It only took 14 days to go from a formed bud to a bloom. During that time 4 more buds formed and one is expected to reach the surface within a week!

Family: Nymphaeaceae
Genus: Nymphaea
Cultivar: Tina

Tina-1.jpg

Tina-2.jpg

Tina-3.jpg

Tina-4.jpg

Tina-5.jpg

Very Pretty flower.............I tried that a while back with a lily I picked up at homedepot.
I never got a flower out of it ............it did grow huge though.

When I removed it a year later, the root system had covered the entire tank (92G).

I love that last pic..........keep em comin. :)

Thanks of the compliments, I really appreciate it... :D

I actually tried hardy water lilies at first but I didn’t have any luck with them, they don't seem sturdy enough with African Cichlids. We have some hardy lilies in our pond and none of them are growing as rapidly as my tropical. I found that the tropical lilies grow very well with proper lighting, consistent CO2 and a fertilizer dosing schedule. Just last night it looks like it sprouted a 5th bud. I am hoping the size of the flowers will increase like the leaves did after a few of them surfaced. I have been working a little with Time Lapse Photography and I was able to capture the opening of the 1st bloom on day 2.

See the Time Lapsed Lily Bloom here (23mb)

Tina-6.jpg

Tina-7.jpg

Good news, another bud just reached the surface just in time to replace the 1st one.. lol

An t-iasg said:
I wasn't able to see the time lapse pics :( All I got was a blank page.

Its a very large file that’s about 23mb and requires macromedia flash player to view. I'm still working on a way to stream it in a video format.

Tank Size: 65 Gallon 48x13x25 (LxWxH)
Filtration: Rena Filstar XP3 with inline Turbo Twist 3X UV Sterilizer 9w
Lighting: Aqualight Deluxe Dual Compact Fluorescent 48" 260watt, 2x65 10,000k bulbs and 2x65w Actinic Bulbs
CO2 Injection: Red Sea CO2 System 500

Fish List
1 Kenyi Female "Metriaclima lombardoi"
35 Kenyi (small males and females) "Metriaclima lombardoi"
1 Yellow Lab Male "Labidochromis caeruleus"
1 Albino Ice Blue Male"Metriaclima greshakei "
1 Orange Female "Metriaclima estherae"
1 Black Male Ntekete "Aulonocara stuartgranti"
2 Serpentine loaches
2 Hypostomus Plecostomus

Plant List:
I never had the ID on the majority of my plants... :?

Very beautiful flower!

The time lapse was also great.

That plant is not my cup of tea, but looks very nice in your tank.

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT:

BrandonMD said:
Plant List:
I never had the ID on the majority of my plants... :?

Post some pics in the planted forum and I'm sure we will ID them for you.

Back
Top Bottom