Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevieb2k11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im not sure if ive posted in the wright bit but i btought a fish tank about a week ago and we had it for two days and it was fine then it allof a sudden cloud long story short when we asked a person at my local fish shop and they said that we needed fish in the tank so they suggested zebra danios it has been over 48 hours now and its clear i was just wondering what fish we could get next i am looking for a colourfull fun watchin tank any advice is welcome tahnks

:welcome: to AA! (y)

I get the feeling from reading your intro that your LFS has not fully told you all that will be required of you to establish a healthy happy aquarium.

The first thing I recommend is you read the article in the link below on cycling your tank with fish. Not sure what your LFS told you, but cycling means establishing the crucial bacteria in your tank that help your fish from poisoning themselves.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

If at all possible and return the zebra danio's ... you can do a fish-less cycling (link below) which requires a little less work on your part. The LFS suggested Zebra Danio's because they are hardy fish that many use in cycling their tanks.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The next thing I recommend is getting a quality liquid test kit like the API test master. Strips are not reliable. You need to monitor daily ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, water temperature and pH. You'll also need a quality de-chlorinator like Seachum Prime ... if available in the UK.

Could you also tell us the size of the tank and the filter you are running. That info is crucial in helping keep the ammo, nitrite and nitrates in order.

I'm certain .. by this point your wondering what you've gotten yourself into ... this is much more complex than the LFS made it sound. In truth it is a bit more complex than LFS's say .. but not necessarily harder. It just requires some due diligence on your part. The reward is a well established tank saving your time, heartache and $$$$$$$$ in the long run.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Members at AA are interested in helping members have happy healthy aquariums which ultimately means less stress for you.

I got told that i needed fish in there to getthe water clear and for the amonia level to go to normal basiclly i have a interpet pf1 as my filter and heater a 100w interpet i got told to feed them everyother day but they dnt seem to each much n js stay at the top of the tank when the food falls to the bottom i feed them i(heart) fish

I got told that i needed fish in there to getthe water clear and for the amonia level to go to normal basiclly i have a interpet pf1 as my filter and heater a 100w interpet i got told to feed them everyother day but they dnt seem to each much n js stay at the top of the tank when the food falls to the bottom i feed them i(heart) fish

They are staying at the top of the tank as they probably have ammonia poisoning. I'd take the fish back to your LFS until your tank cycles or they'll most certainly die of ammonia poisoning.

See JCOLON's post for how to start your aquarium safely. (Your LFS has misinformed you - they do this a lot!) You'll need to get an API test-kit also.

Thanks for the information just reading on the internet about new tank symdrome and could be that. I currently have 2 fish left out of 5 and taking a wat sample to the lfs tommorrow as its to late to do it now

Unless the LFS is using a liquid test kit, you should try to buy yourself a test kit and test the water yourself, you'd get much more accurate readings.

Back
Top Bottom