Need some suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JnessaK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, my mom has a 55 gallon that is fully stocked (prob slightly overstocked) and she just recently had a pretty bad algae bloom, that we fixed with some TLC and darkness. However, the water is no longer green, but now it is very cloudy. She did a 50% water change yesterday when she noticed the cloudiness, but it came right back. Just wondering if anyone out there knows what this could be? Is this normal happenings after an algae bloom? < (which is actually something I read) however, after the cloudiness started she had 2 of her fish die, which is making me think it's something else. Any suggestions is appreciated!

Unsure of the quantities but it's stocked with:

Guppies
Neon tetras
Skirt tail tetras
Platy's
Molly's
Small school of tiger barbs
Couple Cory's
2 assassin snails

I checked her water 2 days ago and the parameters were all 0 except the nitrates were a bit high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had an algae bloom last year. My lfs said to keep doing water changes. I think I did them every other day. Eventually it cleared up and my water was crystal clear again. I think it took over a week of water changes.

Ok! That's what I've been thinking, did you have like whitish cloudy water after the algae died?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I didn't have any algae. I made the mistake of cleaning the gravel & and replacing some of the filer media at the same time. My clear water suddenly got very cloudy and I lost five fish. My lfs said to do a 20% water change every other day and don't feed the fish for a few days. When the water starts getting better feed the fish but only a few flakes per fish. (feed very light) It took about two weeks for the water to be clear again.

Depending on what is going on, your tank might be going through a cycle agin for some reason, check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also, if you are having algae problems, planting more live plants in your tank will help with this and increase the quality of your water for your fish. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When cycling the water can get cloudy as bacteria spike.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom