new 10g rimless conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a nice tank. For the record, I've seen some betta fins split in setups with no decor but if you're still worried, you could remove the decor

That is a nice tank. For the record, I've seen some betta fins split in setups with no decor but if you're still worried, you could remove the decor

I'm thinking I might sand them down some paint them and dip them in a clear enamel so there not sharp.

To be honest, the 'brace' on the bottom of mine wasn't exactly tightly secured. It came off very easily. I never even thought of it being tempered or not. I'm not experienced enough to advise you to take it off or not. If it was my tank, personally I would take the risk but that's just me. My tank is an Aquael PAP-60 Econoline, if that's any help??...

Ya I feel ya. It looks to be a better quality than mine.

Well today I was doin my weekly pwc my plan was to drain the water move the heater lower and remove the coral well because its my luck as I was draining the water down my Betta decided to go and rip his fin open on the coral. I guess ill have to go get some melafix. I also added 2 oto cats from my other tank into this one and decided on what I want to add to it.

Dwarf crayfish I want a Mexican dwaarf my wife wants a Mexican and a Cajun dwarf I like the idea but that doesn't leave much room for the rasbouras.
Micro rasbora
Rasbora rubrodorsalis
Now just to figure how many of what to add.

Update well my Betta died poor guy so I went and got 3 glofish tetras 2 red eye tetras and a dwarf Mexican cray. I also threw some plants in there and I am trying to breed pink pearl ramshorns.

ForumRunner_20130924_224953.jpg

ForumRunner_20130924_225010.jpg

Update well my Betta died poor guy so I went and got 3 glofish tetras 2 red eye tetras and a dwarf Mexican cray. I also threw some plants in there and I am trying to breed pink pearl ramshorns.

How did you get the rim off? I'd prefer not to break my 10g when I'm doing it.

I used a razor knife to losten the silicone from it then on the outside I cut the 4 corners vertically then I cut the 4 outer pieces off horizontally and the inner part came right out in one piece then I used a straight razor blade to scrape all the excess silicone off and used a little laquer thinner on a rag to get the residue off and then cleaned it again with vinegar and water and rinsed the crap out of it.

I used a razor knife to losten the silicone from it then on the outside I cut the 4 corners vertically then I cut the 4 outer pieces off horizontally and the inner part came right out in one piece then I used a straight razor blade to scrape all the excess silicone off and used a little laquer thinner on a rag to get the residue off and then cleaned it again with vinegar and water and rinsed the crap out of it.

Be careful. I know the rim feels flimsy like it doesn't do anything, but the glass is not designed to have 0 support in a fully filled tank. You can get away with it with paludariums or shallow tanks. I know multiple people who have come home to a busted tank and dead fish after doing this... Sometimes in a day sometimes in 3 or more months. You may wish to buy clear corner braces for the top corners. I know the rimless look awesome and it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself rather than buy one but be warned :)

Be careful. I know the rim feels flimsy like it doesn't do anything, but the glass is not designed to have 0 support in a fully filled tank. You can get away with it with paludariums or shallow tanks. I know multiple people who have come home to a busted tank and dead fish after doing this... Sometimes in a day sometimes in 3 or more months. You may wish to buy clear corner braces for the top corners. I know the rimless look awesome and it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself rather than buy one but be warned :)

I plan on it

Back
Top Bottom