new 10g rimless conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I had some petco rewards points and decided to use them to give my Betta a larger home since his was a little cramped. Today was the last day of the $1/g sale and I was going to get a 5.5 well they were out so I decided to get a 10g. So I got home and removed the rim and looked around at all the stuff I had laying around and decided to do a simulated marine tank. So I cut an old marine reef background and stuck it on with canola oil and scotch tape. Then I put some pfs in the bottom and covered it with black sand (from his old home) I only had a little that's why I did it that way. Then I took some dried corals, a sand dollar and a hermit shell placed them in there with the small barrel structure in there. It looked kinda boring so I stuck a couple little plants in there. For the filter I had a dual sponge filter I made into 2 seperate filters awhile back and used them at opposite corners of the tank (there already cycled). I stuck a small heater and a floating therm and filled it up. Then I put old blue in his new home and the pink pearl ramshorns that were living with him in his last home and sat back to make this thread. Here's a few pics the first one is what he was in the rest are his new ones. Does anyone know if he will do ok with an oto cat?

ForumRunner_20130813_132155.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_132218.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_132239.jpg

Very nice. Was that tank only $10. The same size tank would cost me about $80-$100!!!. Is that the heater on the back wall??

Very nice. Was that tank only $10. The same size tank would cost me about $80-$100!!!. Is that the heater on the back wall??

Yes it was $10 it was a regular tetra brand 10g and I removed the top frame. Yes that's

very cool tank :) but i would be worried about the bettas tail getting torn on that decor

Now that you mention it that coral is pretty rough huh?

Yes it was $10 it was a regular tetra brand 10g and I removed the top frame. Yes that's

Now that you mention it that coral is pretty rough huh?

definitely. my girlfriend put a plastic plant in my bettas tank and it tore the crap out of his fins in just one day. took him about a month to recover so now my plants are all soft silk or real. silicone corals look cool and flows around in the water walmart has a few cool looking ones

definitely. my girlfriend put a plastic plant in my bettas tank and it tore the crap out of his fins in just one day. took him about a month to recover so now my plants are all soft silk or real. silicone corals look cool and flows around in the water walmart has a few cool looking ones

Thanks for the idea ill keep an eye out for them.

Ya a little I was trying to figure out a place for it that's not so noticeable. It's about 2.5" below the water line I'm gonna adjust it when I do a water chdnge
What about pushing it straight down, about 1" above the substrate or behind the filter on the left??

That's what I was thinking down by the sub I just had it that high so I could adjust it with out getting my whole forearm in the tank. Now that its at a stable temp ill move it deeper.

Thanks I'm trying to figure out what plants I can use that will look more salty than fresh and I'm gonna do some dry rock type stuff and see if I can get lucky enough for this Betta to get along with some other fish that look like they could be salty. I dunno if imma be that lucky though and imma get a dwarf cray.

Question to anyone who knows. So it is a standard 10g I took the rim off the top I know its safe to do that but is it also possible to safely de-rim the bottom also say if I cut a this piece of Styrofoam sheet Tue same size as the footprint of the tank and put it in between the tank and stand.

Question to anyone who knows. So it is a standard 10g I took the rim off the top I know its safe to do that but is it also possible to safely de-rim the bottom also say if I cut a this piece of Styrofoam sheet Tue same size as the footprint of the tank and put it in between the tank and stand.

Maybe. I asked the same question and didnt get any responses awhile back.

i wouldnt trust it. there are horror stories on here of people using foam and it blowing out the tank. taking off the bottom rim will take off the rest of the tanks support and those tanks are not designed for that

Hey Mike. Now I could have my wires totally crossed here but I have a 'standard' cheap 15g. Nothing expensive, a cheap 'kids' starter tank. It came with a cheap plastic lid(no brace on top). It had a brace on the bottom, I removed this and have the tank running over three months now with no issues. The glass is 5mm thick....

Attachments

• DSCF8396~1.jpg
    DSCF8396~1.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF8397~1.jpg
    DSCF8397~1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 97
Hey Mike. Now I could have my wires totally crossed here but I have a 'standard' cheap 15g. Nothing expensive, a cheap 'kids' starter tank. It came with a cheap plastic lid(no brace on top). It had a brace on the bottom, I removed this and have the tank running over three months now with no issues. The glass is 5mm thick....

Oh cool ya that's exactly what my idea was I have tha basic tetra brand 10g I took the top rim off bit left the bottom I would like to remove the bottom also but wasn't sure if it would blow out or not. I do belive the 10g is tempered glass all the way around but not postitve.

Oh cool ya that's exactly what my idea was I have tha basic tetra brand 10g I took the top rim off bit left the bottom I would like to remove the bottom also but wasn't sure if it would blow out or not. I do belive the 10g is tempered glass all the way around but not postitve.
To be honest, the 'brace' on the bottom of mine wasn't exactly tightly secured. It came off very easily. I never even thought of it being tempered or not. I'm not experienced enough to advise you to take it off or not. If it was my tank, personally I would take the risk but that's just me. My tank is an Aquael PAP-60 Econoline, if that's any help??...

Back
Top Bottom