New 14 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heyz :wave:

Here's my tank that I have for 5 days already, and it's already cycled.

4 cardinals :rolleyes:
15+ RCS :cat:
1 assassin snail :vamp:

If you have any cool idea's for my tank, plants or fish recommends, please tell me... ;)

dsc04325h.jpg

i really really like your tank. it's so simple. i love the tall side of your driftwood, it's wicked cool. i love that because it's so simple, those cardinals stand out beautifully. this is the kind of look i want for my 10 gal. jealous!

i really really like your tank. it's so simple. i love the tall side of your driftwood, it's wicked cool. i love that because it's so simple, those cardinals stand out beautifully. this is the kind of look i want for my 10 gal. jealous!
Hehe, thanks for your nice comment.

Don't be jelous , I'm sure within a month my plants will die off for some reason, althou I have CO2 & Fertz. But no Gravel substrate, only normal gravel.

But we'll see what happens.

I just can't wait till it's all (hopefully!) thick grown. ;)

If you need some help with the make-up of your tank u can PM me or start a threat and tell me about it!:D

Nice job. I would put a big plant or wood in front of that filter,

Nice job. I would put a big plant or wood in front of that filter,
I thought the same, but hopefully the Amazone sword will grow fast.

If I put a plant in front of the filter the plant will be flying the next minutes.:p

Or get sucked in 8-O

But my main priority is to get a good carpet plant, not HARIGRASS...

AARH
I had hairgrass in my 5 gal (old broken tank). I took like 2-3 weeks before there were runners. And they growed terribly slow. I had to clean every 2 weeks insane amount of algae on the grass and so on. Also the trimming hairgrasses were flying all around the tank.:bad-words:

Anyways :rolleyes:

I'll try to make this tank a better one than my previous and inspire people:razz:

Hey there again.

Btw: The moss isn't improving, but it'll take a while, I just now added fertz for the first time since I have the tank.

And Today I bought 2 new plants for the tank.

1 Is the anubis (which I planted into the gravel with the roots underneath a piece of wood)

And a type of curtain plant, Which I don't know the name, any1 know it???

My tank at this moment:
dsc04337r.jpg

Anubis:

dsc04338.jpg

Unkown name:
dsc04339d.jpg

You should keep the green rhizome of the anubias just over the gravel, or at least part of the rhizome out of the gravel or it might rot.

You should keep the green rhizome of the anubias just over the gravel, or at least part of the rhizome out of the gravel or it might rot.
I don't know what the rhizome is, but is it the green part where all leaves come together in?

That part is slightly above the gravel, it's a bundle of leaves actualy with roots, the picture is taken up front, so the rhizome is also pointing forward so it's unclearly. :lol:

+1 on the jealousy lol. Congrats on a beautiful tank! You can help me aquascape, I do not know how it will turn out lol. Where did you get your plants? Did you get them from an LFS or online? i am getting ready to get some from ebay since I cant find any locally, but I am nervous to put them in while the tank is still cycling.

Also, what is the light green star looking plant on your driftwood? I like it.

I don't know what the rhizome is, but is it the green part where all leaves come together in?

That part is slightly above the gravel, it's a bundle of leaves actualy with roots, the picture is taken up front, so the rhizome is also pointing forward so it's unclearly. :lol:

Yeah, its the part that looks like a big green root connecting all the leaves. It should be fine then. Darn those tricky angles!:)

+1 on the jealousy lol. Congrats on a beautiful tank! You can help me aquascape, I do not know how it will turn out lol. Where did you get your plants? Did you get them from an LFS or online? i am getting ready to get some from ebay since I cant find any locally, but I am nervous to put them in while the tank is still cycling.
Oh, thanks ;)

I got all my plants from 1 main LFS, the anubis and other plant came from another LFS nearby which I recently discovered, it was 2 streets away :D

Well, why don't you put up some pictures of your tank a maybe a sketch how you want it to look like.

Which plants you would like to use, what biotope, fish, stones, rocks.... :D

Why not making a thread at the general discussion so other people can give advice too, and you can make an amazing tank!

Yeah, its the part that looks like a big green root connecting all the leaves. It should be fine then. Darn those tricky angles!:)
Yeah I know :eyes:

EDIT

Btw, your signature has a wise saying, are you maybe a student of Daoism?

I can't imagine it would hurt the plants as they eat basically the same things your bacteria does.

It's called Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) It's very common, but not many people like it in tanks. I had a forest of these (old tank), it was my first plant and it is a good choice. But make sure you leave a lot of place to make it grow....

The wisteria has star like plants which grow on the sides,::" when the leaves die"!!
And I cut off those star likes and sticked them into the gravel and holes in the wood.

I can't just throw away little pieces of plants.

They won't attach to the wood so you have to keep it there, once in a while they'll get loose and fly away, but depends on how you do it :D

Yeah I know :eyes:

EDIT

Btw, your signature has a wise saying, are you maybe a student of Daoism?

Heh, no. I just read it on a bookmark I got from a store in Japan. :)

Edit: Thanks for reminding me though, the Japanese part has a typo I've been meaning to fix!

I can't imagine it would hurt the plants as they eat basically the same things your bacteria does.

You should take a bucket with aquarium water (not the tap or well water to make sure there is no chlorine or anything) put a little gravel in it. And wait 2-3 days to see how it grows, and this way you prevent snails :yin:

---

Heh, no. I just read it on a bookmark I got from a store in Japan. :)

Edit: Thanks for reminding me though, the Japanese part has a typo I've been meaning to fix!

Oh I see :D

Just an update on my tank.

I added a bit of moss onto the standing driftwood, shrimps seem to like it :D
I used fish line to attach it, hopefuly it'll grow.

BTW, if you people have expirience with the plants you see next to my heater/filter, becouse 2 already died, and they keep dying, the parts are flying all around the tank and I don't know why, they get light, co2 and Iron fertz (no substrate though).

dsc04363r.jpg

dsc04367d.jpg

dsc04365l.jpg

You should try breaking up that microsword and get it to carpet, although that's not what everyone wants so its up to you. If you plan on having a micro carpet plan on pulling out a big plastic tray, tweezers and tiny scissors. Very nice though, how long have you had your vallis though? Mine just won't go green for some reason and I noticed that yours are a little yellow as well.

Mine used to go green in my old tank, perhaps they haven't adjusted yet, vallis are slow growing upwards but spread like wildfire laterally. You should probably try to just let everything melt and see if it regrows, you never know.

edit- just did a little research, turns out when you plant vals you want to bury them deep then pull them up enough so that the crown of the root system is exposed, otherwise they die.

You should try breaking up that microsword and get it to carpet, although that's not what everyone wants so its up to you. If you plan on having a micro carpet plan on pulling out a big plastic tray, tweezers and tiny scissors. Very nice though, how long have you had your vallis though? Mine just won't go green for some reason and I noticed that yours are a little yellow as well.

Mine used to go green in my old tank, perhaps they haven't adjusted yet, vallis are slow growing upwards but spread like wildfire laterally. You should probably try to just let everything melt and see if it regrows, you never know.

edit- just did a little research, turns out when you plant vals you want to bury them deep then pull them up enough so that the crown of the root system is exposed, otherwise they die.

I have them for none more than 2-3 months, I used them in my old tank, yea they are kinda yellow, but are spreading little by little, thanks for the advice!!! ;)

I'll keep my microsword this way it'll take a while for a carpet effect, but If I pull them all apart most parts will die of and so on and will be flying all around the tank so yea :)

Back
Top Bottom