new 29 gallon community tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some pics of the mystery fish. Let me know what they are if you know.

It looks like I answered my own question. I think they are Celebese Rainbowfish. Are these fish schoolers? I hope not i already have a pretty big school of neons and cardinals and i really don't have the room for another school.

The mystery fish do look very similar to either rainbows or some variation of danio. I haven't come across them before, at least not that I can tell.

The mystery fish do look very similar to either rainbows or some variation of danio. I haven't come across them before, at least not that I can tell.

I agree. That was the first thing I thought as soon as I saw them. With a clearer pic (a real challenge with most rainbowfish) I might be able to ID the type. I'm pretty sure that they are some type of rainbows though. The body style matches.

Shadowraven said:
I agree. That was the first thing I thought as soon as I saw them. With a clearer pic (a real challenge with most rainbowfish) I might be able to ID the type. I'm pretty sure that they are some type of rainbows though. The body style matches.

I think their celebes rainbows. I'm going to check into it some more but for now that's what I'm going with. Do you know if rainbow fish need to school or what? I only have 2 of them right now.

Like your driftwood and the larger substrate gravel/rock. I have a tank just like that. Currently empty...just moved all fish to new setup and soon to become a crab tank setup for my girlfriend. Dont know why she wants crabs so bad but shes been askin for a few years now.
Keep postin pics...curious to see how it looks a year from now.

thedannyd said:
Like your driftwood and the larger substrate gravel/rock. I have a tank just like that. Currently empty...just moved all fish to new setup and soon to become a crab tank setup for my girlfriend. Dont know why she wants crabs so bad but shes been askin for a few years now.
Keep postin pics...curious to see how it looks a year from now.

Lol thanks. Speaking of crabs. Are there any crabs that are 100% water that could go in my tank?

There are none that I know of. All of them require some access to dry land or a place that they can get out of the water easily. Also, all of then are brackish water creatures with the exception of Thai Micro Crabs and maybe a couple of others that would be hard to get.

Shadowraven said:
There are none that I know of. All of them require some access to dry land or a place that they can get out of the water easily. Also, all of then are brackish water creatures with the exception of Thai Micro Crabs and maybe a couple of others that would be hard to get.

That is what I thought as well. I want to get some other creatures in there besides fish, I suppose snail frogs and shrimp are the way to go.

That is what I thought as well. I want to get some other creatures in there besides fish, I suppose snail frogs and shrimp are the way to go.
i wouldnt put frogs in your tank. its kinda high and they dont do the best in community tanks

alLexX said:
i wouldnt put frogs in your tank. its kinda high and they dont do the best in community tanks

Why not? I have read that they are fine as long as you don't have aggressive fish. Is it too tall for them to get air?

Hi there.

your mystery fish are the celebes rainbows (you can tell by the fin shapes) and yes they are schoolers - doing better in groups of five or more.

Why not? I have read that they are fine as long as you don't have aggressive fish. Is it too tall for them to get air?
it is on the high side,and they are almost blind,so getting there food would be a real challenge

Back
Top Bottom