New Planted 2.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisjg04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone

I decided to set up a new 2.5g tank for my Betta.

Right now the plan is to have this as a Planted Tank. I went out today and purchased the tank, pool filter sand as a substrate, and a sheet of Plexiglas to make a top over it.

I am planning on adding a Red Sea or Azoo nano HOB filter, and a Coralife Mini Freshwater Aqualight for lighting. Will have to order both of those online though as there is no store in my area that carries them. I will probably end up ordering them later tonight.

As far as plants for the tank I currently have one crypt wendtii bronze that will be going in there. I wanted to add some java fern, as well as a few different types of mosses and maybe some micro chain sword for ground cover.

Thought it would be cool to keep a log of the tank on here since this will be my first planted tank of this size.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Will try and post some pics of today's purchases later tonight.

I bought an internal filter to put in with my bettas (they are in a split 5G) and it does just fine in there, i.e not making too much current. The one I got is a Whisper 5G brand from the online PetSmart.
Also, make sure you rinse rinse rinse that pfs! If you don't you will be waiting FOREVER for the sand to settle down when you fill the tank, and any little pieces will get into the filter and make it stop working. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!

I have an azoo hob filter on my 5 gal planted tank. I have been very happy with it. Not too strong a current, keeps the water clean, and it looks sharp on a small tank too.

Be sure to post some pics as you set it up!

I have a red sea nano HOB filter that is actually adjustable, I have them on my 2.5 and 5 gallon planted tanks. In a tank as small as a 2.5 you might find that micro sword works well as a middle ground plant.

Here are some pics of the progress as promised

img_1044331_0_b25289c0ab0f3437efd5cf8c96d7991a.jpg

img_1044331_1_585ae9236c7ff7c7160d5637c4aaf7bf.jpg

img_1044331_2_cc63d77821ba7aa412d8e049e637b509.jpg

I ordered the black background, Coralife Freshwater Mini Aqualight, and Azoo Palm filter tonight. Hopefull the will be here next week sometime and I can get the tank set up.

Great idea Chris. I like to see someone make a tiny tank reach its full potential. About the black background-I just painted the backs on mine black. And put clear contact paper over the paint to protect it from scratches. You may want to try that on future tanks. About tiny tank projects, I plan to do a 5.5 in the near future. It will be my 1st attempt at live plants. And stock it with a few White Clouds and some Red Cherry Shrimp. Are you familiar with the tiny tanks site? Tiny Tanks - Site Index

Great idea Chris. I like to see someone make a tiny tank reach its full potential. About the black background-I just painted the backs on mine black. And put clear contact paper over the paint to protect it from scratches. You may want to try that on future tanks. About tiny tank projects, I plan to do a 5.5 in the near future. It will be my 1st attempt at live plants. And stock it with a few White Clouds and some Red Cherry Shrimp. Are you familiar with the tiny tanks site? Tiny Tanks - Site Index

Thanks, hopefully its full potential will be reached. The plan is to have it seem like just a miniature version of a large planted tank.

The paint didn't even cross my mind, I have seen others do it also. This would have been a great tank to give it a try on. Oh well too late now background is already on its way.

A 5.5 should be very nice, and I love the RCS I have them in my 29 with a black sand substrate and they really pop all over the tank.

I wasn't familiar with the tiny tanks site before, but now I am. Thanks for the link! :)

Hope all goes well with your 5.5, start a thread like this so we can see the progress.

Ok so a year later and the tank will finally be going up. Due to some unforeseen circumstances the tank was never able to get set up last year when it was originally intended. However I just set it all up tonight with plans to get it going soon.

I built a stand for the coralife mini aqualight out of coralife legs and some thing wood at home depot. I'm a little worried that the light might get too hot and maybe catch the wood on fire, is this a possibility?

Right now the tank is running with everything set up, I will probably go to the pet store tomorrow and pick up some plants to get a cycle going. Right now I am planning on a Java Fern (attach to slate), some Java moss, a moss ball, pennywort and frogbit. This may be a little much so I will cut out the pennywort if so.

if you find some java moss let me knew where please i've been looking for some for my tank but don't really want to order. oh and put some pictures up everyone loves pics

alright thanks. and about the pool filter sand do you remember where you found it or how long it took you to clean it out?

I found it at Home Depot, it was very cheap I want to say like $3 for the bag if I remember correctly.

It didn't really take long at all to clean out, I used a strainer with a towel on the inside of it and ran it under my sink swirling it around until the water was running clear through it. Its a small tank so only a few batches of this and I was good to go.

Thanks for the tip on the Frogbit ill look into that, right now I'm between either a floating plant or some ground cover.

Went to the Pet Store and picked up some plants for the tank today.

Got a java fern, a moss ball, and some moneywort. I know the money work will grow like crazy but I liked how it was going to look in the tank so I had to grab some. Here is a picture of the tank now:

img_1159897_0_8b5f654d69eb0968f9486884c72cec42.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I love the slate I have a ton of it in my 29g at home, and some more in a shoebox in my closet for other tanks, you can never have too much stuff.

Back
Top Bottom