New purchase for Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just thought I’d show an impulse purchase. Wanted a smaller tank to keep a Betta. Just cycling now. :)

IMG_0920.jpg

Yeah.... seeding from my other tank so hopefully that will jump start the cycle. I want a nice Betta in there... don’t think there’s space for much else lol

No not really. Maybe a snail or two if you are into that. One nice colored mystery snail would look cool in there.

Do you like koi betta's?

They are nice looking. Haven’t thought about what type I want yet.. I was thinking of a snail or shrimps... but I think the Betta would eat the shrimps... what about Pygmy corys?

I tried shrimp before and my betta's ate them.

Standard answer is pygmies need a 10g minimum and a group of at least 6. Could you do 4 in a 5 gallon??? Probably. I'd be more concerned with aggression from the betta towards the pygmies. My betta's were and are always a-holes and want to attack anything moving fairly quickly in the tank. Not to say the temperament of your betta could be different.

A single nerite snail is all I've been able to keep in my betta's 3 gallon. I assume a mystery snail would be fine as well. You do keep bigger plants than I do so there's a chance the Pygmies could find hiding spots/cover. You might have to experiment.

It’s a shame you can’t judge a fishes temperament before purchasing lol. I forgot Pygmys needed to be kept in groups. Probably stay away from those... what an African frog?

They are nice looking. Haven’t thought about what type I want yet.. I was thinking of a snail or shrimps... but I think the Betta would eat the shrimps... what about Pygmy corys?
Yeah I went through 4 of my bettas before I found one that was compatible with the community in my 15 gallon.

I like nerite snails in my small tanks with bettas. The horned ones are particularly nice in my opinion.

Heard bad things about African dwarf frogs and betta's. Never personally kept them together. Same story of betta's attacking. Really it's going to come down to the particular temperament of the one you get. There's always that exception to the rule if you are prepared to deal with things going south.

I’ll prob start with a really nice Betta and perhaps a mystery snail, then maybe I’ll chance with few larger shrimp at some point. If I feel courageous lol. Thing is I can’t put them in my other tank if the Betta gets aggressive towards them as I have Kribensis :/

I’ll prob start with a really nice Betta and perhaps a mystery snail, then maybe I’ll chance with few larger shrimp at some point. If I feel courageous lol. Thing is I can’t put them in my other tank if the Betta gets aggressive towards them as I have Kribensis :/

IME, your shrimp will be dead before you get them out. What I saw in my betta's is they go for the eyeballs or head of the shrimp. Then the legs then they tear apart the body and eat it. Very effective at killing. You could try a larger, maybe wiser one that knows when to come out and when not too. I think you'll like the mystery snail.

Back
Top Bottom