New sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, here is my 46 gallon cichlid tank after adding very fine white sand. I LOVE it. Like you all said, the poo is very noticeable lol, but it all winds up clumping in the corners where the intake tubes are which is in the back of the tank so I don't mind too much. The little bits of poop scattered around don't bother me either. You wouldn't believe how much mine pooped in a single night...I mean, come on! My camera cannot capture the true beauty this sand gives my tank. With the 50/50 bulb, the sand has a nice purple hue to it, and it looks awesome. Overall the tank is a lot brighter, which I really like. Sorry that these pictures aren't so great. The sand's brightness is glorified as well.

img_828606_0_b3a97a42f05d029f617a59a7ef1060e6.jpg

img_828606_1_0e2aff2218db52a9e1b695544b00508f.jpg

img_828606_2_b429ff8616789febc81e24edf98f4c20.jpg

Wow, that sand looks great. Too bad they can't have little robots scour the bottom of the tank and scoop up poop. You know, like pool cleaners but for aquariums...

I like it a lot. Do "freshies" have snails or sand stirrers that will eat the waste?

Thanks guys :). I'll just stir up the poo with my python when I do my PWC's. I switched to a blue background (still experimenting :) ) I like to call this the Salt di Freshwater. (Keep in mind, the sand is not this bright! )

img_828752_0_18d4814333ac40a6652fbde65e9e7680.jpg

img_828752_1_af34ac3b3590a92cf5fe1a2698e176db.jpg

roka64 said:
I like it a lot. Do "freshies" have snails or sand stirrers that will eat the waste?

MTS will definitely stir up the soil, and I have a hunch they will eat some fish waste. I've seen my Ghost shrimp pick up fish poo and start snacking, but I think they are just going after something that isn't completely digested in the poo. I don't think there is anything that will eat all the waste.

Hmmm, bummer, we have conchs, snails and all kinds of critters that will. Thanks for the info, I learned something new!

Yeah, I'm sure if there was something that went after waste, Marconis and everyone else would have it in their tanks.

just wondering where did you get the rock and what type is it? also i was wondering is you have had any problems with algae with the sand and how it will last over time and how much more work it will be to keep clean?

I got this rock in Saratoga, NY. I am pretty sure it is just limestone. I have had lasting diatom problems. It could be from the sand, may not be...I really don't know. To keep sand clean, you should do a weekly stirring and collect all the waste that is on top. Sand gets dirtier over time, but not too much.

Back
Top Bottom