New Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 35 long gal community tank I'm thinking of setting-up in a few months and these are the fish I'm thinking of adding, what do y'all think? Also, what would be the best choice between sharks or cats? The quanities are my guessimates, so please feel free to advise me on the proper amount.

Option #1
*Tiger Barbs (5)
*Blue (2), Red/Sun (1), Dwarf Gouramis (2)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Four-lined Pimodella Catfish (1) Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 15

Option #2
-Silver Dollars (3)
-Blue Killifish (2)
-Platy red,blk,ora,yel (3)
-Swords red,blk (3)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 15

Option #3
*Blue (2), Sun (1), Dwarf Gouramis (2)
*Silver Dollars (2)
*Danios (3)
*Mollies or Platys (3)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 17

Redd said:
I have a 35 long gal community tank I'm thinking of setting-up in a few months and these are the fish I'm thinking of adding, what do y'all think? Also, what would be the best choice between sharks or cats? The quanities are my guessimates, so please feel free to advise me on the proper amount.

Option #1
*Tiger Barbs (5)
*Blue (2), Red/Sun (1), Dwarf Gouramis (2)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Four-lined Pimodella Catfish (1) Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 15

Option #2
-Silver Dollars (3)
-Blue Killifish (2)
-Platy red,blk,ora,yel (3)
-Swords red,blk (3)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 15

Option #3
*Blue (2), Sun (1), Dwarf Gouramis (2)
*Silver Dollars (2)
*Danios (3)
*Mollies or Platys (3)
*Irridessent Sharks (2)
*Pictus Catfish (2)
Total fish = 17

I wouldn't do any of the sharks or the silver dollars and I'm pretty sure the catfish you said wouldn't be good either. Sorry. But they all get too big and too aggressive! How about some other ideas?

Ah man, what about the the gouramies and the rest? Can I have at least one pictus cat? I really love them crazy fish

Redd said:
Ah man, what about the the gouramies and the rest? Can I have at least one pictus cat? I really love them crazy fish

You don't want a ufc tank. I don't know the exact type of catfish but like most it will get big and ruin any plants. The gouramies and danios and killfish. Or tigers, sharks, and silver dollars. It gets very costly if u mix.

Ok, I have revamped my list, what do y'all think about these two options:

Option #1
-Pearl/Moon Gouramis (3)
-Blue Paradise (2)
-Platy/Swords (7)
-Pictus Catfish (2)

Option #2
*Sun (1), Dwarf Gouramis (2)
*Black Skirt Tetras (6)
*Mollies/Platys/Swords (5)
*Pictus Catfish (2)

Although I really want the Pictus, I'm leaving the option open for the Panda Corys.

I had a cat shark(columbian shark) it looks similar to the one u want. He grew very fast and at night got crazy. If you want the cats you should think about getting other fish that grow to a good size so they don't become food. Although there are some pretty cool cory cats. Also with agressive fish you can't have as many as non.

Hey I really appreciate the feedback, this is exactly what I needed in the begining before betting my Betta tanks. A lil history: Two summers ago my wife won a goldfish at a amusement park and fell in love with it, so when it died a few weeks later, I bought her a red veil-tail Betta and the bug bit me. I began liking them myself, and bought 3more, then 2more, then before I knew it had a bunch of betta bowls all over the place. So I buy a 10gal and partitition it up to hold 6 Bettas, had I known then what I do now I would've went larger. So a 10, 5.5, and three 2gals later, I'm 11 Bettas in and bought a used 35gal long (hood/light and all) in December from my local Pet store(thought it was a great deal) and I'm itching to set it up by the Spring. So getting feedback from you guys is really helpful in me choosing which fish I should populate the tank with this time around instead of just going off what the petstore employees tell me.

ForumRunner_20120120_170801.jpg

@ Glen, I figured Gouramis would be too big for the cats that's why I chose them(plus I've always liked Gouramis). I can do the whole tank of just different types of Gouramis (Sun, Moon, Pearl, (2)Red, (2)Dwarf (7total) then (2) Pictus Catfish, would that work?

I think that would be ok, are planning on live plants? If so the cats will unroot them. If all fake then you will be fine. Also the killfish would give you some some fish that stay at the top. Just try and stay away from the slender streamlike fish. Neons, white clouds, etc.

Thanks Glen I really appreciate the tips. I can do a Gouramie tank with no problem, now all I have to do is persuade my wife in letting me take over the corner in the living room where she has all the pictures on a table. Prime aqaurium real estate! lol

Back
Top Bottom