New to the website and to fish keeping, input on my set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moosemoose97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to fish keeping but I've done a lot of research and spent the last 6 months getting to where I am. I've got a 37 gallon aquarium with an Aquaclear 50 filter and a heater (not sure of the watts). Decorations include: gravel substrate, back ground plants, foreground plants, two nicely sized pieces of driftwood, and rocks to form caves (Quartz I think). It's already been cycled and I've spent the last couple weeks stocking it. Fish include: 2 assorted veiled angel fish, 2 peppered cory cats, 2 albino cory cats, 1 German dark blue ram, and 1 golden ram. The Rams are both males I believe and seem to be peaceful towards each other. The heater keeps the temp at 80. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0. Nitrates might be a tiny bit more. Ph is about 6.2, it's a little low but I blame the driftwood. General hardness is at normal levels according to the test kit. I don't really have a question, I would just like your opinions or tips. Thank you!

Also, you may eventually have a problem with your two rams competing for territory. Your angels may get narley with the rams as well

All looks fine right now. I'd bump up the corys some more. Though they are social to cories of other species they still much prefer their own species.

Angelfish will probably be fine for now. Eventually when they mature you can try to sex them. It's not an easy task. Or just see if they are fighting, then it's likely 2 males.

Driftwood will not lower your pH. Tannins(stains the water brown but harmless to fish) that are excreted from the wood is what lowers pH.

Caleb

Sounds like a nice tank! I'd bump up the cory schools to at least 4 of each species. As already mentioned, your rams and angels may eventually fight but you will be good for now :) We're glad to have you here on Aquarium Advice!

Thank you everyone for responding!

Since I posted this unfortunately, my German blue has died:\. He had ich so I treated the tank for a week with water changes as the medicine directed and it went away! No more ich but a week later he died. All my other fish seem happy and healthy, they're eating and swimming happily. After the ich treatment I added activated carbon to help reduce tannin. I'll eventually get more cories as you all have suggested but until I know for sure my tank is good I won't put any more fish in as I'm terrified they'll die! I really do want to create the best tank I can for my fishys!

Here are some photos if you are able to view them!

C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\2015-08-03\IMG_5922.JPG

C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\2015-08-03\IMG_5949.JPG

C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\2015-08-03\IMG_5950.JPG

C:\Users\Scott\Pictures\2015-08-03\IMG_5952.JPG

My laptop wouldn't allow me any other way to insert photos! So just copy and paste the link into either chrome or internet explorer. Sorry for the inconvenience!

if you post them to a outside photo host like photo bucket makes them a lot easier to post (y)

Back
Top Bottom