Newbie 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 red wah platty for now...
i thought the net looked cool... need more fish any ideas!???
Tomorrow i will buy heater and probally plant(s)

Attachments

• DSC02611.jpg
    DSC02611.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02612.jpg
    DSC02612.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02613.jpg
    DSC02613.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02615.jpg
    DSC02615.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 73
Cool looking tank. How long has it been set up? Have you read about cycling? It will save you a lot of money and frustration in the long run.

Welcome to AA by the way! :)

Its been setup for 2-3 weeks already been cycled i had the 2 wags in a little 2 gallon and there loving the swimming space they finally noticed the log and are exploring it as i Type

Glad to hear they are good, what test kit are you using? How did you cycle your tank? It takes more than 2 to 3 weeks to cycle a tank aside from the rare occasion that someone is lucky enough to get that.

Tetra.......Fishless (media from 2 gallon tank & gravel)...... It had that bacteria bloom about 2-3 days ago and i took a water sample to my lfs to make sure it was safe to add my wags

Sounds cool. I'll bet they're stoked about the tank upgrade! lol

I recommend you get your own test kit when you get a chance. The strips are innacurate. API's freshwater liquid test kit is an excellent investment. It is not that cheap but it will last you for a long time and you will get very accurate readings. What were your params at the LFS? Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrAte? Glad to hear your fish are happy in there :)

I would say some otos would be nice to add for algae eaters. Or maybe some shrimp

Yea i know im trying to decide what other fishes i should add to the tank any ideas!?

Tetra Laborett Master Aquarium Water Test Kit from Wal-Mart . I went to petsmart and they used strips similar to mine exact levels i canot tell you because i really dont remember

When you are sure that the tank is fully cycled...

What type of fish are you interested in? Let us know which ones you like and we can give you our opinions and experiences about them. A 10G can be tough to stock because of it's limited area and volume, but there are some very cool small fish available if you are willing to do a bit of research to find them. The only algae eater that I'd recommend in a 10 would be snails and I'd only add them because they are cool, not because they might eat algae.

Lol on the snails HN1, I agree they are cool! OP, I just want you to know that we aren't trying to nit pick or anything. I would say I'm speaking for myself but I am positive that HN1 isn't either :) IME on here a lot of the time when people come on asking things like this they start to feel like we are demeaning them or something. I know I personally like to know whatever I can about any tank, no matter whose it is. And please don't take anything I say personally I am just trying to help :)

That being said, I also agree that there aren't a lot of options to stocking a 10gallon. I have one myself and its current and only resident is a Dwarf Puffer. They do not mix well with other fish and are recommended for species tanks. Anyways, I am getting 4 otos next week and that will be it for my 10. There are some cool stocking calculators online like the aq advisor but take them with a grain of salt because they can be way off sometimes. Aq advisor is actually pretty conservative but I always use it for a basic idea of what to put in my tank.

Another thing I have come across is basically fish that are 2" and under are good candidates for a 10 gallon. JMO though.

I highly suggest that you start keeping track of your levels, since that is one of the most important things to maintaining a stable tank- keeping ideal water conditions.

I want it to be a comunnity tank probally a velvet wag swordtail and other platy's but i dont want to over stock. I dont want any tetras i was going to get a dwarf gurami<--- doubt i spelt that right

Hmm... I don't know if you would be able to have a lot of swordtails because they get up to 4" but you might be able to get away with one or two. As long as you keep a ratio of more females than males you should be fine, they will probably breed like crazy though. But that would pretty much be it for your tank if you want those. I also don;t know if the gouramis will be small enough either. Do you like Harlequin Rasboras? Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Harlequin Rasbora

I stand corrected, well according to this anyways. They have a few different gouramis : http://theaquariumwiki.com/Stocking_a_10_Gallon_Tank#Fish_suitable_for_a_10_Gallon_tank

Well i might not get to carried away with the fishes probally 1 or 2 swords or just Platys i might do alittle aquascaping and add plants BTW what kinda of maintainence do plants need??

There is an excellent section here for planted tanks where there are tons of people who can help you on that. Also www.plantedtank.net and www.plantgeek.com are great sites.

I love the sparkling gouramis, they are really sweet looking. Thinking about those for my 29, hope they will go good with Bolivian rams

EDIT: well it appears that plantgeek is either down for maintenance or screwed up which is unfortunate because that is a really good site.

Back
Top Bottom