Newbie 20 gallon extra high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelopoulos59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, my roommate got a reef tank, and not to be outdone I decided to do a planted tank :p
I went with a 20 gallon extra high
A 48 watt t5 high output fixture (nova extreme)
Fluorite as my substrate

Overall for it being only the 3rd day I've had it I feel like its turning out well.... Also I really am enjoying myself, its nice to have something that grows and changes over time as a result of your care!

Oh and any advice or criticism would be great!

And a slightly closer view

Once the tank cycles are you going to get any fish?

I have one guy in there right now, a rainbow shark. I bought 1.5 ounces of dirty water and put that in, let it run for 2 days and had the store test my water and it turned out to be right on.
I definitely plan on getting more fish, I really want a High Fin Swordtail (gonna probably wait at least 2 months to make sure my water is doing well though) and I was considering a twin tailed betta (though I dont know if they're too aggressive or not).
I'm also going to get some blue crays and some cherry shrimps for color.

Any suggestions on fish or inverts?

Oh got any pics of the shark? I wouldnt suggest the blue cray the floor place is to small. The only suggestion i would give is some barbs. They are a semi aggresive fish so they would do good with your semi aggressive shark.

Ya, he's a cool little guy, I'm considering just getting a 20 gallon standard tank so i have some more length for aqua scaping... not sure though.

Have to say it's a very nice tank :) Congrats on your hard work! I'm sure it will shape up nicely.

I just wanted to say I never liked high tanks because of how far you have to put your hand down, it's just not comfortable for working - I have a 20 High .. hate it, trying to sell it.

But your doing a nice job. The shark looks great!

Thanks for all the compliments! I went to the store today and bought a 20 gallon standard tank, already transferred everything over and have it going, fish are doing great, I added a sword tail to the family, ill post some more pics tomorrow when the water clears up!

Back
Top Bottom