Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pb1974

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I have my 80ltr tank just over a year now and I have tried to be careful and go slow with it. My fish seem very happy and there is a great variety of colour in the tank. I am looking for some constructive opinion on what more experienced freshwater fish keepers think of the tank and what if anything they might do differently to what I have done. Any advice welcome.

I have 1-Angel Fish, 2-Honey Dwarf Gourami, 1-Betta, 2-Sterbas Cory, 1-Mollie & 8 Tetra. I also have live plants.

Attachments

• image-1849160925.jpg
    image-1849160925.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-1881577886.jpg
    image-1881577886.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image-632024784.jpg
    image-632024784.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3690813914.jpg
    image-3690813914.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 143
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

The stock is ok, though a betta is a weird choice considering they can be aggressive and prefer very low flow for best health. The angel and the tetras could become an issue as the angel grows, but many folks have success with it anyway.

The plants look healthy.

I could critique the aquascape, but the important thing there is if you like it and are happy with it.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your pics!

What kind of feedback are you looking for?

The stock is ok, though a betta is a weird choice considering they can be aggressive and prefer very low flow for best health. The angel and the tetras could become an issue as the angel grows, but many folks have success with it anyway.

The plants look healthy.

I could critique the aquascape, but the important thing there is if you like it and are happy with it.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your pics!

Hey,

Thank you for the feedback.

As I am a relative newbie and I don't know anyone else that keeps fish that I might ask I was looking for a little bit of critique on my tank through this forum. I have a feeling this will become my bible forum on all things to do with my tank lol.

The spongebob ornaments are a give away lol, but I have young kids who love the tank and have helped me with it since the start. It is really a joint effort. That is how we came to have a Betta in the tank. One of the kids fell in love with it at the shop and asked if we could get it. After talking to the guy in the shop, he thought it would be fine and to be fair the fish seems fine. I don't think I would of put the Betta in otherwise. Same thing happened with the Angel Fish to be fair so maybe i should leave the kids at home when going to the shop in future lol. Sometimes I get the impression that if I asked could I put a great white into the tank the guy at the shop would say yes lol.

I take on board your comments with regard the tank and I greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks again for the reply.

Pb1974
Pb1974

I think you did great as a newbie! It looks good to me...and if the fish are not getting aggressive now, they may in the future. But, you can always, as you learn, trade with someone, or maybe sell the ones you don't like. Or even start a new tank....lol...That is why I now have 3 going and 2 more waiting to be set up...lol

I think you did great as a newbie! It looks good to me...and if the fish are not getting aggressive now, they may in the future. But, you can always, as you learn, trade with someone, or maybe sell the ones you don't like. Or even start a new tank....lol...That is why I now have 3 going and 2 more waiting to be set up...lol

Thanks for the kind remarks.

It's my first tank and I'm trying to learn from my mistakes so that I might be better when it comes to getting a bigger tank. I don't know anyone else that keeps fish so I've been flying a bit solo apart from the odd piece of advice from the shop assistant. You can get so many different opinions on the net with regards to keeping fish that it can confuse you rather than answer your questions but I am learning all the time.

I am itching to get a new tank though and maybe get different types of fish that I haven't been able to put in the tank I have at the moment. I'm just about resisting lol. Every time I walk into the shop it's like a kid in a candy store lol and I am constantly having to tell the kids they can't have a Nemo or a Dori because they are Marine not freshwater lol. They won't stop till they get one I think.

Thanks again for the kind words. It's nice to hear I might be doing right lol.

Pb1974

Uh Oh. Sounds like it is only a matter of time until MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) sets in! Start a Reef :)

A reef is the way it's going tbh. I think I need more experience before I dive into the Marine side of things but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I go that way too. There is so much to learn that it'll just take time and before you know it I'll be giving out advice lol.

Marine aquariums that are fish only are at a basic level, only slightly more complicated than a FW tank. Reefs require some specialized lighting and equipment, and a bit more homework and knowledge (as well as funds), but are also not overly complicated. Sounds like you are on a good path and have a good plan. The best way to save frustration and failure is to research research research BEFORE you buy :)

That's good to know with regards the Marine tanks. I haven't done any research on Marine yet as I'm sticking to Freshwater at the minute but I would love to get a Marine tank in time. I always thought that Marine tanks would be really difficult to maintain. Think my kids would be delighted if I got one though.

Back
Top Bottom