Our 93 gallon planted Discus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a few pictures of the set-up so far please throw more advice my way.

A few questions I have are:

How many grown Discus should I put once tank has been up for awhile?

What size Discus is considered grown?

Would you add all Discus at once or half and half?

What can I do to bring my hardness down? Currently GH 150, ALK 180, PH 7.4
We are thinking about getting a water purification system and mix with tap water Good idea?

View attachment 257670View attachment 257671View attachment 257672View attachment 257673

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As for initial setup I would start with at least 5, but if you've got the cash I would go with the max (9-10) for the tank. Reason being is if you introduce all of them together at once, you won't need to QT any new arrivals. As well, you'd want to give them their "own" tank for he first 4-6 weeks. If you have a small group of shoaling fish already in there, they should be fine as long as you can see no pre existing conditions with them. Another thing with Discus is you want to buy from a WELL TRUSTED SOURCE !!!!! I cannot stress that enough. I've never found a good Discus at an LFS or big box store. It just doesn't happen. They just don't get the quality, they run common filtration (which is a good way to cause inter-tank problems) and don't have enough dedicated, species only techs. (Both opinion and experience)

I consider anything over 18 months AND 5" or larger to be adult fish. Reason being at this stage, they're grown (dimension wise and maturity) to a point they can pair up and become parents.

To get the hardness down would require the use of RO/DI water. Wether it's buying your own (more cost and time effective) or buying from a store (not cost or time effective) is probably the safest bet. Many of the online aquarium retailers have them, just a matter of price shopping. The only parameter not to go crazy over is pH. They'll thrive in just about any and trying to buffer is more harm than good.

BTW, great score on the FX6 !!!

Finished adding substrate around rocks and low spots. After tank clears I'll post some pictures.

Got lots of hiding spots for fish. Rams are starting to come out of hiding as well?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417985849.708480.jpg

Thanks again treemanone great information. I'll want to get about 9-10 at same time we are saving for them now that will give tank plenty of time to get adjusted I think

You're welcome, Jim. I would seriously consider Stendker over Asians. Much hardier IMO. And I know of a highly respected and award winning importer if your interested.

Thank you. I would love to have a list. I've watched some YouTube of people unpacking fish from certain imports don't know if we can post names or not.

Is 5 discus to few for this set up?

No, 5 is not too few. It's a perfect starter group for a tank. If you could swing it, I would advocate for one more in the event you wind up with a pair. They will not want to be part of the group and a 4/2 split would disperse the aggression better if it were to take place because the group pecking order could change, but not necessarily will. Hopefully that makes sense as these wet pets can be very confusing at times.

Yes makes perfect since

Decided to organize a bit tonight. Labeled the cords as well.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187450.675947.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187471.736451.jpg
Also added 3 new friends 2 albino Cory cats and a goby not sure name of it.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187552.182652.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187570.129473.jpg the goby decided to make a leap to safety but fell 3 feet as I was doing a drip acclamation. It seems to be doing very well now

A couple more pics of some of the stock.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187957.704112.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418187987.554149.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418188011.422839.jpg

Lot of fish in this picture. Cardinals and rummy nose still shy. Can you see the hidden one? It's about 8" longImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418188053.643463.jpg

Also added a DYI foam bubbler. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418188721.541955.jpg
Rams are really starting to come out of there shells. They are starting to move around the tank more and I think there colors are coming on. Most have already established homes in the tank. They seem to be getting along very well.

Waiting on funds for proper lighting but this is a test I ran. What do you think? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418193351.910949.jpg kind of reminded me of a sunset?

This is a fantastic looking tank. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a fantastic looking tank. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. We are still debating lighting and future stock.

Ok had a slight nitrite spike ( knew I would). 1 ppm doing daily water changes and prime. Checked before work and it was down to .5ppm. I'll keep on top

Ok did a 60% wc this morning after work. Checked when I got up this evening and I'm at
0 ammonia
.25 nitrite
0 ppm nitrate
83 temp
7.6 ph

Should change the name on this one to my wife takes over and makes my discus tank into an angle community tank?. So I went and got a 150 for my discus. Watch for the build

Back
Top Bottom