Outer space themed planted 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally seeing the ammonia go down to almost zero, getting nitrItes and nitrates. 3 1/2 weeks, feels like longer, but not too bad I guess, I didn't use any seeded media.
Each week I do a 50% water change and the water ends up at 7.2 pH, at the end of the week it is about 6.6. It hadn't occurred to me that the pH change at water change might be unhealthy to future tank residents! Of course I will do maybe twice weekly 15-20% water changes once stocked so the change won't be quite as severe. My tap is 7.8 though so there will be a jump. I think if I start using RO water now the pH will fall much too far; my tap's high GH and KH are what keeps the pH as high as 6.6.
Hmm. I liked the idea of a water softening substrate as my water is so hard, and it would be nice to not have to deal with RO for a while. Now I'm thinking the substrate changing the pH so much is more trouble than it is worth!

Cabomba is in need of a good trim, and it is leggy. It probably needs more than 6 hours of light, but I still have diatoms like crazy. Pic is just after a good vacuuming to get rid of the majority of diatoms. Before vacuuming the cabomba is totally covered in it. You can kind of see there still a decent amount in the micro sword.
Pygmy chain sword is putting out runners.
Edit: I've got detritus worms! Eww. Have just been cycling with pure ammonia but the substrate does have a lot of organic material.

Attachments

• IMG_20170615_215207568.jpg
    IMG_20170615_215207568.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 69
These pictures were taken a week and a half apart. Basically the cabomba and salvinia are going crazy! (sorry none of my photos are fantastic quality) IMG_20170623_223233430.jpgIMG_20170705_152313993.jpg
I have offered both up in the classifieds section, the salvinia because it is covering most of my tank and the other plants need light so I'd like less of it, and the cabomba because I don't like having to uproot and trim it every week because it grows good roots and the substrate goes everywhere! Seems like it would be easier in a gravel type substrate like flourite, or in a tall tank, or in high lighting where it might grow "bushier"?
If no one here is interested I might try to bring it to the local aquarium club meet. Never been but keep meaning to.

The tank has been fully cycled for a couple weeks but I've found myself in the position of looking for a job so haven't been able to stock. Still feeding it ammonia on the daily.

I got frustrated with my Cabomba too. Took most of it out...it's fragging in the tank usually.

All gone from mine - too messy. It looked nice close to lights where it got a red'ish tinge but too much work trimming.

Back
Top Bottom