Paludarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the top is in place .:dance:
A light sanding to the inside which previously housed a Chinese water dragon 15 years ago and it is ready to go.
It needs a coat of toingue oil on outside and I am still undecided on what to do with inside . I left it natural years ago.
No glass;
tLA6DIml.jpg

The tracks that hold the sliding glass front ;
Bottom
FEZAF6Fl.jpg

Top also showing 1/4 inch hardware cloth top to keep creatures in .
1VOFYocl.jpg

From side with out decorative top .
L1Aaw0kl.jpg

Front with glass .
vLy5NDVl.jpg

ptYvnaXl.jpg

Need to rip two pieces for sides in front as I could not find them. That was the boys 'secret hiding place ' when it was his ..
The top is on reef tank so eithway I have to make one top and a band for the reef tanks lower frame .
I have matching wood for that also.(y)

Plants ,vines and I can fasten wood to sides. There may be a land section built up to left of the overflow with a tree/rubber tree type plant to grow up. Some plants from tank will grow out of water also I expect. I want to install a CO2 diffuser in the tank so it does bubble up and off gas to the closed top and promote terrestrial growth also. I also have in my head now possibly Spanish moss? Something possibly besides vine type plants? Not really sure at all !
I am thinking their has to be some kind of water fall but that may not be high up do to splashing . Probably in the right corner to promote flow from it to overflow.
I just have the pieces ,but no solid plan ! I think I like the idea of an anole or two ! They bred for me when I kept them before !
The glass is ordered for the sump . $30 worth of glass and $30 to seam/swipe the edges ..
I could have sanded them myself but not interested...Someone has to start back to work TOMORROW ! :facepalm:
All good things come to an end they say..I am already looking forward to next winter no matter how much I love summer...:whistle:

Dwarf anthurium, differing colors and a saw a newer one called Butterfly with a slightly different shape. Bloom with good lighting nearly all year long.

I am totally open for suggestions .
Should I paint the back of the top black or green ?
I may build some type of hardsacape but I really think the DIY foam is not me not now.
The top is 'open' with the hardware cloth so it will not be a steam bath inside the enclosure.
I do want plants and really think the CO2 will benefit water and land plants.
Co2 is heavier then air I believe so it should 'linger' in the top ?
I have an outrageous digital regulator that will make controlling a snap.
No need for bubble counters or worries about EOTD..DIGITAL.....

A deep jungle green would.be sweet. This build is going to make problems for me... looks epic

This build is going to make problems for me... looks epic
It is easy to build stuff like this if you say it is for your kids ! I am just putting old pieces back together again and adding whatever I have learned since then.
When I made the canopy for my 180 one of my buddies labeled it 'museum quality ' and since then when I build stuff like this I put extra effort into it to make a piece of furniture also.
Like T said it is a big presence in any room.
I have long been thinking about this build with the pieces I knew I had. I am hoping it turns out good ,but even if it is average it should grow in?
I am thinking leaving the back wood tone . It is luan plywood which is mahogany veneer.
Is tongue oil safe for the inside ? I could seal it and that would darken it up also.

I don't know what's safe for the humidity?? What do they use to seal butcher block? It's food safe.

Butcher block !
Most use mineral oil and it says you can use 'pure tongue oil'.
My tongue oil says it has petroleum distillate.. Thinking I will test drive some mineral oil over the mahogany veneer.
This was set up with water right up to the top of the 75 for 6+ years at least and I left it bare without it rotting.. I think a coat of mineral oil will help it last another 6 or so.
I hope after grow in that the back of the top will not show much like in the tank.
I am thinking I want to silicone slate at the water line to the top of the aquarium so it looks like a rocky waters edge ? The black is for below water . It will look funny IMO if it is black above the water ?
I have roof slates that are flat so they would not have crevices or anything 3D about them , but again they are the back that will be behind some kind of growth I hope.

I didn't know if you were going to add a mister and a chameleon or something awesome?? Some spider plants?? I could send you so many spider plants.

I am thinking a sprinkler or misting set up. A chameleon /anole..The little guys ..I already have had iguana's ,Madagascar day geckos ,Chinese water dragons even a Jackson chameleon with the mitt type hands and feet and horns !. No big lizards .
I think I would like to sneak in a Red Toed Bird eating spider ! No joke ,they eat crickets like tarantulas .I had one before and way more friendly then a tarantula. They are known to be one of the largest spiders in the world so if I found one he would not go unnoticed IMO.. All black with bright red toes ..
I can cover the top with acrylic and make a handy fan light coffee can dehumidifier . I had one in the 135 that was 50/50 when it had lids .Every morning the tank would be a cloud of humidity and when the lights turned on so did a computer fan mounted above a lightbulb in a coffee can. The fog would naturally vanish in like 10 minutes and tank would be clear to view as long as lights and fan were on...
I didn't have a lot of plants in this set up before so moisture was not a big issue. I definitely want plants so think I will seal and plan on it being a little moist inside the top.There is a 3/16 space in between the glass front sliders on the over lap so the tank will be by no means air tight. I might need to seal up the top a little ?
Being I have time now being back at work I will probably trade fish in before this is over. If that happens I will be wanting the new fluval 3.0 for at least one of the lights to go on top. The 24/7 feature will make the tank awesome IMO and everything should benefit from it . I like what my 24/7 does on my 180...

The glass for the sump is ready so Mrs.b will pick it up tomorrow for me. My drawers/egg crate/sock holders for the berlin filter in the reef sump can fit this set up if I space the baffles 8 inches apart in the mechanical area .I was thinking I would just cut my egg crate whatever size and then remembered the insert that came with filter. You can only use one of them in filter so seems like a no brainer to use them . Those are the only baffles I plan on besides the middle divider so I will still have about 20 " on the first half and all the other side for pump ,maybe a heater .
I do think I want a diffuser in the tank to make the misting bubbles from the CO2.
The CO2 is why I think this will really grow in top and bottom . I will probably have the DR. Chihiros in the tank for the sporadic bubbles it makes and whatever it does also...

No Spider for me thank you!

Chameleon would be my fav, but they could fall in water and drown if i remember what a Paludarium keeper/builder told me awhile back.

Mrs.b got the glass so hopefully I will get sump assembled this weekend.
I got one coat of mineral oil on the inside and really like it .She picked up a butcher block 'special oil'... Looks nice and I am sure will protect better then nothing.
c8mkW4Hl.jpg

jHRaDmHl.jpg

SkPV1FKl.jpg

SAu5cQQl.jpg

Not so bad looking for $10 luan ?

Luan is highly underrated, needs a little fine sanding but finished out nice nice. Use it for drawers and bookshelf backing.
Build looks sweet man!

Ordered Fluval 3.0 48-64 inch for the tank along with a stainless steel diffuser and 4 replacement heads for CO2.:dance: The stem is 12 inches long so I should either be able to mount it to overflow or cut the stem and place it where ever.
Hoping I will be able to snake the supply line in through the drain pipe in the overflow so no wires or hoses still coming out of stand or tank visible .(y)

Back
Top Bottom