Paludarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So however much later then I ever imagined it is alive ! I cut the overflow and sealed it,let it cure a couple days .Found the neato "universal rocks' backgraound and silicone it in.
RGOaxAyl.jpg

It looks awesome even for the cheapest and most plain background. Adding water to the tank made the background appear 3D..Very realistic..
Next after background I built my plenum..I used Benjamin Obedyke 'Cedar breather' as my material for bio activity in the plenum.It is /was the black 'noodle 'material that is used in DLS [Double Layer Spiral] so has already been studied and has lots of surface area. I made it thicker by building up layers closer to the overflow..I then added the plastic craft fabric ,and a layer of cocoa fiber as my final layer.
Vi4spBHl.jpg

MqeZe7Yl.jpg

EUScEq0l.jpg

Next I added some Eco complete around the viewing edges so not to see any of the planum or the clay balls that I added next.
xHndfzMl.jpg

KQm0LpHl.jpg

h1JNyHml.jpg

^^This 10 lbs of the clay balls spread out .
Next I added the remainder of 60lbs of black eco complete and then added 40lbs of the red eco complete.
KcnFXr1l.jpg

0esmBc6l.jpg

JIGLbsZl.jpg

bovK89rl.jpg

lbCGueUl.jpg

So it is running and now the fun stuff can begin …
Still a lot of work and believe it or not I purchased another Universal rocks background that I plan on adding above the water line to help create the water fall.This may be a little work but the background had all the qualities I wanted for the water fall so I dropped more cash[fish money on paypal card!] and bought the second most expensive one they make for 4 foot aquariums .It needs to be trimmed a little and then I need to figure what pump,hoses and such will be run from tank[or sump] to behind the background.. There are many ledges and shelves on this backgound so all I really need to do[I think] is drill through background and place hose in hole and I should have a water fall...We will see??

Once upon a time you asked me why one would want 80 gph pumps on the cheap.... waterfalls!! That's why!!

The background looks really nice. I got a similar 4' background a few years ago in a quitting fish tanks bulk trade, and due to my tank already being set up and planted I never used it yet. But now I think I know what it will need to be used for!

Ok, so I'm old school and slow. How do I see pictures? I'm particularly interested in your sump set-up.

Ok I have been so busy with work and all the tanks that I have let this set up just grow.
I added bolbitus from Lincoln but it grew algae like crazy as you will see in pics .
The Madagascar lace plant from a couple years ago has taken off like it belongs in there with 2 foot long leaves so my choice of plants was easy. I removed the bolbitus [I have a ton!] and picked up another MGL. The new lace plant is going to take time to adjust but if in a year it looks like the old one then the tank will be stellar IMO.
Stocking for this tank is still in motion with 4 of the hatchet fish I got last year and 3 flying fox[SAE] being only fish so far.
Today if possible I will be pulling the kuhlis and orange laser cories from the 29 and adding them .This will open up the 29 for a new plan..
I still have to attach the background and add one more to top I have to complete the back above water,along with the 'water fall' .
txE1bQq.jpg

w85vZlw.jpg

w5s7vSP.jpg

7rWTW5n.jpg

No CO2 as the MGL seems to be growing without a single issue !(y)

Yea I have not placed any other plants . Still have pounds more of the Spanish moss!
I have about 30' of pothos from the fish room that I may use to green it up .
Need to get background attached and waterfall running before I can plant and not kill them or just struggle around them ?
I also grabbed some lake grass from one of my local water ways. It grows out of the water nicely but I may have grabbed it late in the year ? It is still out in a bucket .
I have a semi submerged universal rock placed upside down on a stump that I plan to plant with something?

Ok I have been so busy with work and all the tanks that I have let this set up just grow.
I added bolbitus from Lincoln but it grew algae like crazy as you will see in pics .
The Madagascar lace plant from a couple years ago has taken off like it belongs in there with 2 foot long leaves so my choice of plants was easy. I removed the bolbitus [I have a ton!] and picked up another MGL. The new lace plant is going to take time to adjust but if in a year it looks like the old one then the tank will be stellar IMO.
Stocking for this tank is still in motion with 4 of the hatchet fish I got last year and 3 flying fox[SAE] being only fish so far.
Today if possible I will be pulling the kuhlis and orange laser cories from the 29 and adding them .This will open up the 29 for a new plan..
I still have to attach the background and add one more to top I have to complete the back above water,along with the 'water fall' .
txE1bQq.jpg

w85vZlw.jpg

w5s7vSP.jpg

7rWTW5n.jpg

No CO2 as the MGL seems to be growing without a single issue !(y)
If you need more plants just hollar

Back
Top Bottom