Planted 125G Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Planted African Tank

Beautiful tank... I have always been told.. Africans look at the plants as one big "salad", what is the secret??

I keep some of the smaller species of Africans, mainly the dwarf mbuna like Ps. demasoni and L. caeruleus. They aren't as hard on the scenery as Africans like the zebras can be. The do like to dig, but if you give them a place to dig where you don't have plants that they can dig up, they'll usually do it there - whatever's most convenient for them I've found. I've also found that they will shred any plants that have algae growing on them so keeping the plants free from algae may be the secret. They're algae eaters in nature so it just makes sense that they're not really after the plants as much as they are the algae, the plants just have the bad luck of being in the way :)

In the last pic, are the plants pearling, or are the tips white?

I love your tank! One day when I am not keeping zebras and other meanies who do eat greens, I will try that :D

I am just starting up a 150 gallon show tank. It was saltwater but it crashed, now I am going with cichlids. I still have the dual 400 watt halides from the saltwater. I imagine that would be great for plants. I kept cichlids in the past but never with plants. This is amazing, what other equipment do I need? How many plants did you put in at once?

I am just starting up a 150 gallon show tank. It was saltwater but it crashed, now I am going with cichlids. I still have the dual 400 watt halides from the saltwater. I imagine that would be great for plants. I kept cichlids in the past but never with plants. This is amazing, what other equipment do I need? How many plants did you put in at once?

Menagerie - that's pearling Riccia fluitans. There is absolutely nothing I've seen that will pearl like it does and my cichlids hate the taste of it :)

Michael - I sent you a PM :)

Hey Travis I am not ready to purchase but I am studing. I could purchase the decorator kit for 150 from aquariumdriftwood.com. here is what it contains, i know the swords, water wisteria and anubias will be ok, please comment on the other plants.

Extra Large Centerpiece $40.00
1 Large Centerpiece $30.00
2 Driftwood Multi-Level $9.00
10 Corkscrew Val $4.50
2 Water Wisteria $5.98
2 Amazon Sword Small $3.78
1 Amazon Sword Med $3.49
1 Amazon Sword Large $5.49
1 Melon Sword Med $3.99
7 Giant Val $6.48
1 Tiger Lotus $4.99
1 Bacopa $1.99
8 Pygmy Chain Swords $6.96
2 Rotala Indica $3.98
2 Anubias $11.98
Total Value $142.61
Your Cost $133.00

I would avoid any vals with Africans. IME they will eat it to the ground, they just seem to love the stuff. I've got a Nuphar lily, similar to the Tiger Lotus, and it's doing spectacularly so that will probably work just fine. I've grown Bacopa before and it did fine in the hard water. Chain sword works too, but I noticed mine grew rather slowly. I can't comment on the Rotala indica, but I have tried growing Rotala macrandra and it slowly withered away, I'm guessing because it much prefers softer, acidic water. I think R. indica may be a lot more tolerant though. One note on the wisteria - I've seen my L. caeruleus munching on its leaves back when I had some in my tank. Of course the stuff grows so fast that it wasn't really even noticeable, but it is possible that your fish may try to eat it. Nothing I'd worry about though. I've heard good things about aquariumdriftwood.com too. I've never ordered there before but they've got good word-of-mouth. Good luck :)

Michael - My favorite online plant retailer is www.aquariumlandscapes.net Prices are a bit on the high side but the quality of the plants is unmatched and the selection is the largest I've seen anywhere. I've talked to Dr. Prescott, the owner, a couple of times regarding orders and he has always been very courteous and professional.

Had something to do with the period at the end of the link. I fixed it and it should work now. The site is still up and I just visited it.

Wow, this is a very beautiful tank. I have been eager to try Africans one day and your setup is great inspiration! :)

Thanks tinky :) I just love Africans - for freshwater fish I don't think you'll find anything more colorful. And their behavior is incredibly complex and active. I could watch them all day long . . .

8O Just came in and saw this for the first time. This tank is a true labor of love. Get ready, I may start pestering you about achieving something similar in my 125g discus tank. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom