Planted 40 BR Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
After literally months of playing with various layouts I've finally found one I'm happy with (mostly :)), so I thought I'd share.

Specs:
40 Breeder
2 T5NO dual bulb light fixtures
Sand substrate
Filters: Eheim 2215 canister and Aquaclear 50 HOB
150w heater set to 78 degrees F
Black fabric background

Flora:
Guppy Grass
Peacock Moss attached to driftwood
Vallisneria
Red and green Crypts
Java Fern
Hornwort
Moss balls

Fauna:
6 Panda Cory
2 Sterbai Cory
10 Celestial Pearl Danio
8 Ember Tetra
1 Spotted Blue Eye Rainbow (started with 8, see below)
1 German Blue Ram Female (added this week)
3 Otos (added this week)
2 Horned Nerite Snails
X number of Ramshorn snails (plant hitchhikers)
Growing number of Blue Velvet Shrimp (started with 5 a few months ago; have about 20+ now of various sizes/ages with at least one other female berried)

Feeding:
Once per day w/ one fast day per week, varying between:
HIkari Community Small Fish Pellets
New Life Spectrum Small Fish .5mm Pellets
Frozen Daphnia, Bloodworm, Shrimp
Golden Pearls
Algae/veggie wafers
Spirulina Sticks
Omega One Fish Flakes
Fresh blanched veggies

Fish are all doing well; have had most of them for more than a year now.
Most challenging have been the Spotted Blue Eye Rainbow fish; I started with 8 of a about 3 males and 5 females. The males harrassed the females so much they all died. Then one male rainbow bullied the other two males to death (found the second male dead yesterday). I do not plan to add more.

With the Rainbow fish almost gone the upper levels of the tank are pretty bare. Trying to find a good fish for the upper level. For the long-term I plan to turn this tank into a dwarf cichlid tank, so as my current fish die off (which will take a while lol) I'll try not to replace them. If I had the room (and didn't live on 3rd FL lol) I'd move the smaller fish to a 30 gal and turn the 40 into a Cichlid tank now but alas I can't.

I had wanted a nice centerpiece fish and I was itching for a Cichlid so I went to the store which had fish labeled generally as "Rams." In the store all of my knowledge drained from my brain and I couldn't remember how to discern Bolivian Rams from German Blues (Red eyes, doh!). Most of my fish prefer cooler water (mostly the CPDs) so I tended to keep my tank at 75 degrees, therefore I wanted to avoid a German Blue Ram which prefers temps of about 80. Like a dope I bought one of the more colorful active Rams they had. Once I got it home, I realized it's a German Blue, not a Bolivian. :facepalm: I raised the tank temp to 78, the minimum of what they like, so I hope she survives. She's very small, about quarter size and my favorite fish so far (I'm 90% sure it's a female; I'll add a pic of her below so someone can maybe confirm).

Since the tank is so large and there are a good number of hiding places I'm contemplating getting her a mate. But I've heard horror stories of mating Rams killing Corys so I'm not sure I want to risk it, but I'm tempted to try it.

The tank is on a rather ugly) black iron stand. The bottom is open so all of the equipment shows and it bothered me so I attached a green (to match the color scheme of the living room) fabric around the bottom of the tank with Velcro to hide the equipment and supplies.

I may as well add a photo of my betta tank too. My Betta's name is Dickens and he's a Crowntail. The tank is a 10G half moon which he has all to himself (aside from two Ramshorn snails). It is planted with a sword, java ferns and water wisteria with peacock moss attached to driftwood branches. The tank has a blue background. Marina 10i filter with LED light.

Now for the photos!

Attachments

• fts.jpg
    fts.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 269
  • fts w skirt.jpg
    fts w skirt.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 255
  • gbr2.jpg
    gbr2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 201
  • betta1.jpg
    betta1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I was looking for some pictures of your aquarium, and I found this! Your tanks are fantastic, great work! (y)

How are they currently doing? :)

Cool tank! :)
For upper level fish I think some kind of danio might work, giant of zebra, or some kind of barb or tetra. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom