Planted Mr. Aqua 2G Nano Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting this thread to document the detour we took on our Nano Cube build thread when we "made a right turn at Albuquerque" as Bugs Bunny would say...

While still planning that tank, I impulse-bought shrimp at a SCAPE meetup in August and needed to launch a tank fast. I won 10 Red Rilli shrimp at auction after having bought 6 Super Tiger shrimp for $1.98 each at CK's in West Covina

Since I had 2 species of shrimp, I figured we needed a second tank too, and scooped up a new Mr. Aqua rounded corner 2G rectangular tank for $16.

We already had driftwood boiled, soaked and tied with moss and ferns as well as a seeded filter, so launching a new tank wasn't too much of a challenge, here is what we setup in an hour or so
20130819_102442.jpg

I have been chronicling our experiences in our build thread but decided to separate the threads as we have now started scaping the pico cube
20130904_084054.jpg

Day 15 Update

No shrimp losses, still 3 tigers and 9 red rilli

TDS as of this morning is 201ppm

Will test water tonight and do a PWC and filter element clean

Planning on starting to dose this tank with Flourish and Flourish Excel on an alternating basis (every other day rotate between the two)

Noticing many rillis are "saddling" but none berried. Looks like we have more females than males.

Not seeing any tigers saddling-up, yet...

No deaths

Been topping off w 100% RO as well as dosing Floursh, 2-3 drops twice a week

TDS now at 190

Fed raw soaked baby organic carrots cut on a bias into 1/4" slivers to the shrimp yesterday. They went NUTS for these.

We observed 4-5 shrimp covering the carrot pieces at a time, often lying on their backs while feverishly pawing at the carrots in delight.

I pulled the pieces out this morning before they got too "fuzzy"

Found two molts today, one small and one large, the largest one I've seen yet

Today's a fast day (no food)

Topped off w 100% RO dosed 2 drops excel
TDS @ 199ppm

Oh, and nothing died... again

Last edited:
We've got berries!

I noticed a few molts in the tank yesterday, and a huge one this morning.

While scanning the tank floor for more molts, one of our larger rillis buzzed passed me and I noticed her undercarriage was dark red. I waited for her to circle back and BANG, she is berried. SO EXCITED!!!

This is the best I could get for quick pics
20130921_071912.jpg

20130921_071912.jpg

20130921_071910.jpg

So like any good expectant father, I'm wondering, what should I have on hand and ready for the wave of shrimplets when they come?

So like any good expectant father, I'm wondering, what should I have on hand and ready for the wave of shrimplets when they come?

Congrats on the berried female! What to do? Get some breather bags, styro insulation, a box...and send some shrimp babies to me! Haha

Here are a few better pics
20130921_141415.jpg

Hello Mr. Tiger
20130921_141417.jpg

Super Tiger coming to get a closer look at those berries
20130921_141444.jpg

Airing out the caboose
20130921_141452.jpg

2nd berried rilli

While feeding blanched spinach to our shrimp this morning I found another berried rilli, this one with green eggs
20130923_071254.jpg

20130923_071527.jpg

Here she is mackin' down on the spinach
20130923_075834.jpg

Here is the first preggers one we found on Saturday
20130921_141441.jpg

Just for reference

So neither of these girls are showing new saddles yet, which means the eggs are not close to hatching... I'm guessing 30 days or until eyes are visible in the eggs

Both our berried rillis are doing fine, nothing to report other than I think we have a THIRD berried shrimp!
20130925_195417.jpg

Does the shrimp on the lower right look berried to you?

Moss mat update
I added a mat of F. fontanus this morning after steeping it in tank water for a week. Here's a whole tank pic
13+-+1

Here is our green-egged lady
20130925_195124.jpg

Here is one of our larger super tigers inspecting the moss
20130925_192719.jpg

Spectators reported the shrimp was overheard saying "not feted enough for my taste" as he moved off the moss.

Sorry for crappy pics, I was trying to get these shots before everyone moved along

Last edited:
octanejunkie,
First of all, nice setup! I just started my first nano/pico tank 3 weeks ago for my desk at work, and your posts got me thinking and have I have some Q's, if you don't mind...

(1) As far as I have read & know, using Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron (which I dose my 50g at home with) is harmful to shrimp. But if I read your posts correctly you're using it, right? So would it be safe for me dose my 2g with those ferts, if I plan on getting Japonica Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)?

So far I only have 1 Oto (Otocinclus sp.), but I'm considering getting amanos (as I mentioned before) and maybe Amanda Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae ).

(2) How much do you dose your 2g with? So far I've only done 1 dose (1/4 teaspoon of Flourish & Flourish Iron) as I couldn't find anything online regarding how to dose a 2g tank and 1/4tsp seemed like an appropriate dose, IMO.

Thanks!

octanejunkie,
First of all, nice setup! I just started my first nano/pico tank 3 weeks ago for my desk at work, and your posts got me thinking and have I have some Q's, if you don't mind...

(1) As far as I have read & know, using Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron (which I dose my 50g at home with) is harmful to shrimp. But if I read your posts correctly you're using it, right? So would it be safe for me dose my 2g with those ferts, if I plan on getting Japonica Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)?

So far I only have 1 Oto (Otocinclus sp.), but I'm considering getting amanos (as I mentioned before) and maybe Amanda Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae ).

(2) How much do you dose your 2g with? So far I've only done 1 dose (1/4 teaspoon of Flourish & Flourish Iron) as I couldn't find anything online regarding how to dose a 2g tank and 1/4tsp seemed like an appropriate dose, IMO.

Thanks!

Hi Slavo - thanks for the kind words

All of the Seachem Flourish products are shrimp safe when used per their instructions/dosage. I reached out to Seachem and was told the following for 2G tanks:

1-2-3 drops of Flourish Excel daily if using as CO2 replacement
-start with 1 drop a day, then increase slowly up to 2-3 drops depending on your plants/livestock
-I does 2 drops daily

2-3 drops of Flourish once or twice a week
-I dose 2x weekly at 2 drops per dose

I am not dosing Flourish Iron at this time...

Regarding drops. You can get a pipette online, Seachem sent me one in the mail for free, or you can get at drug stores in the infant section.
There are 20-25 drops per ml, depending on who you follow, I stick to 20 to make the math easy.

Otos are social and do better in larger groups. Amano's are good companions and clean up crew, they are less demanding of conditions than other hobby shrimp, from what I know, but I don't keep Amanos.

We have red rilli (neos) and Super Tigers (caridinas). We also have H. Amandae but they are in a different tank... neat fish :)

Thanks octanejunkie, I appreciate the help!

That's comforting that they are shrimp friendly, to an extent. I was worried that since I had already dosed it once, I was now limited to fish.

Another Q - who exactly did you contact at seachem for the pipette? Is there some sort of main email or something?

I've heard the same about amanos, which is why I'm considerig them, as I've never kept shrimp and would like to start with something less demanding. After seeing H. Amandae in person at my LFS, I've become a fan as well, but I haven't made up my mind completely on whether to get both (amanos and H. Amandae), or just one or the other.

Thanks octanejunkie, I appreciate the help!

That's comforting that they are shrimp friendly, to an extent. I was worried that since I had already dosed it once, I was now limited to fish.

Another Q - who exactly did you contact at seachem for the pipette? Is there some sort of main email or something?

I've heard the same about amanos, which is why I'm considerig them, as I've never kept shrimp and would like to start with something less demanding. After seeing H. Amandae in person at my LFS, I've become a fan as well, but I haven't made up my mind completely on whether to get both (amanos and H. Amandae), or just one or the other.

I sent an email to support@seachem.com, exchanged emails, and they offered to send me one.

Amano shrimp and H. Amandae are not mutually exclusive of one and other, no reason not to get and keep both. The ember tetras we got are so small (<3/8") that we are keeping them in our 2G cube until our 60P is up and running. I will be introducing Amanos into the 60P after it is established well established along with more otos.

Back
Top Bottom