post pics of your betta sororities!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll be setting up a sorority soon in a 10g tank that a friend is giving me for free!! it will be naturally planted with 5 girl bettas and a small colony of RCS... I know you are suppose to provide breaks in sight and lots of caves!! I really really want a natural feel for the tank so I've got some natural drift wood and am gonna get some rocks... I'm going to have some sort of plant substrate then a layer of sand and having the sand go up a slope in the back corners and burying a terra cotta pot or something to use as a cave.. I don't know if the cave would work but I will never know unless I try it.. So I need some pics of what yours look like so I can think about some other possibilities!!!

please include tank size and number of each inhabitant

I'll be setting up a sorority soon in a 10g tank that a friend is giving me for free!! it will be naturally planted with 5 girl bettas and a small colony of RCS... I know you are suppose to provide breaks in sight and lots of caves!! I really really want a natural feel for the tank so I've got some natural drift wood and am gonna get some rocks... I'm going to have some sort of plant substrate then a layer of sand and having the sand go up a slope in the back corners and burying a terra cotta pot or something to use as a cave.. I don't know if the cave would work but I will never know unless I try it.. So I need some pics of what yours look like so I can think about some other possibilities!!!

please include tank size and number of each inhabitant
Way too small tank for 5 bettas. You would need at least 20 gallons and 6 females to be somewhat succesfull. You will still be encountering deaths. My best suggestion would be only 4 bettas and no shrimp with constant surveillance and more water changes.

Agreed. 10 gallons is just too small for a betta sorority. I started my latest sorority in a 56 gallon with lots of over and six females and two killed each other in the first three days. The four I still have are doing well mostly because they have each staked out an area for their own, but I still see small disputes going on when they do encounter each other, but I will have to be very vigilant when I add more. My first attempt at a betta sorority was in a 20 gallon with five, and they all killed each other within like two weeks, and that was a very heavily decorated tank with lots of plastic plants and some caves.

I know plenty of people including myself that have kept sororities in a 10 gallon for quite a good period of time with no issues whatsoever.
10 gallons is NOT too small, it is however the absolutely smallest size possible, and larger is always better. And 4 females is the minimum, more being preferable, 5 is a good number.
Bettas have a very low bioload so it's not going to be an issue with thAt either.
As long as you have a ton of plants tall enough to break up sight even at the surface and multiple caves with multiple entrances its 100% doable.
Just make sure you have extra tanks in case a girl or two is too agressive in a sorority.

I have never had a death due to aggression. I keep my current sorority in a 28 with small fish like Pygmy cories and a few Endlers and they aren't even agressive with them.

I have been keeping sorority tanks for 10 years.
I've even done 2 females in a 4 gallons successfully for a year before I changed it over to a male tank.

I know plenty of people including myself that have kept sororities in a 10 gallon for quite a good period of time with no issues whatsoever.
10 gallons is NOT too small, it is however the absolutely smallest size possible, and larger is always better. And 4 females is the minimum, more being preferable, 5 is a good number.
Bettas have a very low bioload so it's not going to be an issue with thAt either.
As long as you have a ton of plants tall enough to break up sight even at the surface and multiple caves with multiple entrances its 100% doable.
Just make sure you have extra tanks in case a girl or two is too agressive in a sorority.

I have never had a death due to aggression. I keep my current sorority in a 28 with small fish like Pygmy cories and a few Endlers and they aren't even agressive with them.

I have been keeping sorority tanks for 10 years.
I've even done 2 females in a 4 gallons successfully for a year before I changed it over to a male tank.
I know it's the minimum, but it's considered too small. And each betta has it's personality, i know myself a lot of people that do betta sorority's and a lot of them die...

ok guys I don't mean to be rude but I didn't ask for anybodies opinions I know the risks and I do have extra tanks incase something were to happen but bettas are my expertise so I know what do and my cousin has a sorority in a 10g so I know it can be done... I should have the tank up sometime during the summer so I will be home a lot to watch them... and I have asked other people who are more experienced than me with sororities and they say it all depends on the girls temperments and most girls aren't very agressive... so I am going to do this tank.. and 5 is not to many I know other people who have more in that size tank....

ok guys I don't mean to be rude but I didn't ask for anybodies opinions I know the risks and I do have extra tanks incase something were to happen but bettas are my expertise so I know what do and my cousin has a sorority in a 10g so I know it can be done... I should have the tank up sometime during the summer so I will be home a lot to watch them... and I have asked other people who are more experienced than me with sororities and they say it all depends on the girls temperments and most girls aren't very agressive... so I am going to do this tank.. and 5 is not to many I know other people who have more in that size tank....
In my whole experience in betta's, I would say females are more aggressive then males, and it is not rare when trying to breed betta's that the female kills the male. We are not trying to be rude, but just showing you the reality of things. There is a high risk to it, and 5 is a bit too much. Maybe try 4 at the beginning.

I already said I know the risks and I have talked to experts about it.. they said 5 was the best number and tons of people have sororities in 10g just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean everybody will.. I know at least 10 people with successful sororities in a 10g and if you don't believe me go to Bettafish.com and you will see that it can be done and that many people do it successfully.. unless you are going to post a picture of a sorority then please don't post again!!!!

I already said I know the risks and I have talked to experts about it.. they said 5 was the best number and tons of people have sororities in 10g just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean everybody will.. I know at least 10 people with successful sororities in a 10g and if you don't believe me go to Bettafish.com and you will see that it can be done and that many people do it successfully.. unless you are going to post a picture of a sorority then please don't post again!!!!
Well, I was giving my opinion just to warn you, and I never said it was impossible. Good Luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom