Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
I always liked a pure black background myself, I wouldn't say it hides anything but I haven't found a background that does :P Female ram looks good to me I like how your plans sound, cant wait to see it come together

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
They are Mikrogeophagus....Mini earth eaters...That is how they forage in the wild.. Besides letting some food settle for a short time , I add food into the HOB outflow and it makes it move jut enough sometimes...
MTS can live through them but maybe not the others...They are live bearing snails I believe so maybe the young can run just fast enough!
Egg eaters eat eggs....
My apistos were whipping the assassin snails before I moved them...And ate all the eggs. I moved the fish into the tank without thinking it through...
They don't eat rabbit snails, either. I wonder if it has something to do with the shape of their shells.

What kind of food do you add to the outflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I always liked a pure black background myself, I wouldn't say it hides anything but I haven't found a background that doesFemale ram looks good to me I like how your plans sound, cant wait to see it come together
It's actually a deep blue. With the color of the prefilter and heater, there's no hiding them. I think there are 3D backgrounds that incorporate them, but.... I'm cheap I guess. Fabric remnant was something like $2.50.

I think the bit that I'm struggling with for the centerpiece is scale. What can I put between a tree and amphora that are close to the same size? 😕

Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I add all food into out flows!
Flake,NLS type pellets ,even the frozen.
It just shoots the food into the water column where the fish can get it more comfortably.
If not in the water with the fish ALL other predation comes from above!
Our fish have not lost every natural instinct just because we have broke them to eat ...I am sure most held out as long as possible...
Few fish naturally feed from the surface and in some it causes physical issue[bloat].
I pre wet my foods in a cup of tank water for decades now since having 'reef ready' tanks with surface overflows! Nothing worse then watching your money go down the drain and then having to clean filter more often for it!
Tom/rambandit
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I add all food into out flows!
Flake,NLS type pellets ,even the frozen.
It just shoots the food into the water column where the fish can get it more comfortably.
If not in the water with the fish ALL other predation comes from above!
Our fish have not lost every natural instinct just because we have broke them to eat ...I am sure most held out as long as possible...
Few fish naturally feed from the surface and in some it causes physical issue[bloat].
I pre wet my foods in a cup of tank water for decades now since having 'reef ready' tanks with surface overflows! Nothing worse then watching your money go down the drain and then having to clean filter more often for it!
I really only do frozen and gel foods because EVERYTHING ELSE HAS GLUTEN.

And, yes, I *hate* removing uneaten food. It's either expensive or stuff I've made.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is gluten bad for the rams? Mine inhale earthworm flake, frozen Spirulina Brine and mysis shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Is gluten bad for the rams? Mine inhale earthworm flake, frozen Spirulina Brine and mysis shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I don't think gluten is *bad* for them, but they don't have the enzymes to digest it. It just goes through them.

My daughter and I both have celiac disease (organ failure severe on my part), and so we do our best to just keep gluten out of the house entirely. Obviously we don't eat the fish food, but, since they don't benefit from it, there's no need to risk it.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The filler/binders (grains / gluten is in most foods to one degree or another - Just like a dog or cat food. I have food allergies and corn is one of them so I read labels all the time.) Such crazy differences in food quality.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
The filler/binders (grains / gluten is in most foods to one degree or another - Just like a dog or cat food. I have food allergies and corn is one of them so I read labels all the time.) Such crazy differences in food quality.
Corn is a miserable allergy. Do you have to avoid things with high fructose corn syrup as well?

Our current dog was a rescue. He was only a few months old, but had been beaten and starved. We've had him almost two years and he still won't eat when people are standing. I have no idea how people do these things... Anyway, I guess his digestive system's development was messed up, and he gets skin issues if he has food with too many grains. Fortunately there are good commercially available foods for him.

Our pet supply budget is kind of embarrassing.

I'm going to both the fish nerd place and Petco tomorrow. I have $10 rewards cash at Petco and $10 store credit at the fish nerd place. I need plants, possibly a fertilizer, and maybe the other piece of quartz. I have to wait until after school, though, which already has me antsy!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
Corn is a miserable allergy. Do you have to avoid things with high fructose corn syrup as well?

Our current dog was a rescue. He was only a few months old, but had been beaten and starved. We've had him almost two years and he still won't eat when people are standing. I have no idea how people do these things... Anyway, I guess his digestive system's development was messed up, and he gets skin issues if he has food with too many grains. Fortunately there are good commercially available foods for him.

Our pet supply budget is kind of embarrassing.

I'm going to both the fish nerd place and Petco tomorrow. I have $10 rewards cash at Petco and $10 store credit at the fish nerd place. I need plants, possibly a fertilizer, and maybe the other piece of quartz. I have to wait until after school, though, which already has me antsy!
Yes, over the years the cost for pet foods are pretty high, but due to the high quality of foods we feed, hardly any vet necessary issues.

It's great to get the discount / $$ to spend. One day I had 4 $5. rewards, somehow they had got saved up I guess. That was a sweet day.

Corn proteins, which is bad enough - syrups fine - yummy! hahaha

As for you dear, please be careful and take good care. (- you already know about reading labels )

Your fish eat well!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Turned on the light this morning and Fast Sparkles flipped the eff out. I felt terrible. I moved it over to the 29 gallon because it's just so bright, and I noticed the guppies were hiding from it. It's got to go.

Tags
ram, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com