Rams get their own place!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's time to give our blue rams a more appropriately sized home. They are currently in a 10 gallon planted with an AquaClear 20.

1483316973467.jpg

All plants, decor, and equipment is moving over. I will have to get more substrate. I was browsing sources for garnet sand and found this gorgeous stuff, but I would need to put something more plant friendly under it. I'm debating eco complete.

Just got a pretty Current Satellite Freshwater Pro LED light.

I'm looking at either a 20 long or 15 gallon. The limiting factor is the stand.

This feels weird to type, but I'm having a hard time with the background. I'd love to do something that can hide the heater. Does anything like that exist?

I'm very much looking forward to planfully putting together a tank for the first time.

Edited to add: this tank will have CO2.

Last edited:
Okay but seriously I have read a boatload on fertilizers and.... I just can't figure out what the best thing to do is.

It makes me think about when my daughter was born and I did all this research and just felt like screaming at the internet, "There has to be a best car seat!"

Even Tom Barr doesn't have a straight answer.

1483412761584.jpg

Moonlight with the Current Satellite.

I love this light, but this one is meant for the 29 gallon. I need a second light now.

Tomorrow I'm getting the new tank and the eco complete. Get those roots buried.

Had to laugh about the thought that there must be a "BEST" X thing.

Also like to research and feel like I will spend the $$ in the right and BEST way!

But not always that easy, boy oh boy!

Personally a big fan of Garnet sand. You can get it from a number of local places.

Looking forward to seeing the new set up progress!

Oh no! What a world! What a cruel, terrible world! The 15 gallon regular isn't included in the dollar per gallon sale, so I just had to get the 20 long.

Could have told you that;) I've gone as far as taking it up to the register and playing duhhhhhh but.that guy said it was 15 err dollars. Nope.. such a versatile size

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1483470618487.jpg

I need a centerpiece.

So I filled it 1/3 and planted things. Filled it the rest of the way, and several things came up. I'm going to have to replant.

This is the 29 gallon light, just so I could take a picture.

I've ordered a Nicrew LED.

1483496934418.jpg
Added a background.

1483496959995.jpg
Stubby

1483496990488.jpg
Fast Sparkles holding still

1483497031009.jpg
Fast Sparkles refusing to pose, but look at how beautiful she is.

Is she a little too skinny?

The mental image I have is for a curtain of java fern along most of the back, Asian water ferns along the sides, and mosses in the front corner. I have the ozelot swords and echinodorus parviflorus set up to frame whatever goes in the centerpiece. I'm going to have to find a new place for the cuttlebone.

The buce on the tree and subwassertang on the amphora should come back in now, I hope, which will help with scale.

I have eco complete around the edges and in the front center. The old gravel makes something of a U, and the flat black stones trace it. I have ordered that decorative garnet sand to put on top.

I'm amazed at how bright this light is compared to the 29 gallon. It's just 6" depth difference, but, in this tank, the light is almost overpowering.

My daughter wants to know what we'll be doing with the 10 gallon. What kind of fish is a quarantine?

The rams are going to love the 20!
Tell your girl quarantine fish are the best. They are our newest friends!

She looks fine to me. Is she eating okay?
She eats bloodworms fine, but I don't really see her eat anything else. I usually only do bloodworms once a week.

I feed them very well- a good variety of frozen foods, some store bought and some homemade.

She carried food into the amphora (the broken bottle thing she has claimed as her own) and dropped it there yesterday. I didn't see her eat anything today.

Rams like to spit food out repeatedly.This is sort of how they chew?
They forage for food off the bottom most often.
I find they like some of the smallest food you ever imagine...
My adults will still eat decapsulated BS eggs and 200-400 micron golden pearls...
I crush up some of my pellet[NLS type] so there are a variety of sizes..

Rams like to spit food out repeatedly.This is sort of how they chew?
They forage for food off the bottom most often.
I find they like some of the smallest food you ever imagine...
My adults will still eat decapsulated BS eggs and 200-400 micron golden pearls...
I crush up some of my pellet[NLS type] so there are a variety of sizes..
They definitely like to forage. They seemed to be happiest when they were hunting and eating the baby snails. I'm hoping the ramshorns will multiply like so many people complain about.

Moving to a new tank is stressful.

They definitely like to forage. They seemed to be happiest when they were hunting and eating the baby snails. I'm hoping the ramshorns will multiply like so many people complain about.

Moving to a new tank is stressful.
They are Mikrogeophagus....Mini earth eaters...That is how they forage in the wild.. Besides letting some food settle for a short time , I add food into the HOB outflow and it makes it move jut enough sometimes...
MTS can live through them but maybe not the others...They are live bearing snails I believe so maybe the young can run just fast enough!:eek:
Egg eaters eat eggs....:whistle:
My apistos were whipping the assassin snails before I moved them...And ate all the eggs. I moved the fish into the tank without thinking it through...:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom