Reid's 20G Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReidILewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I figured I would start a thread on my newest tank, I got out of the aquarium game for a while because school and life got in the way, but now have the time to dedicate to new tank. I went with a 20g long because, well, I already had it. My plans were to dirt it and have a planted community tank. So far I've stocked it with a school of ten Neon Tetra and looking to add some Red Cherry Shrimp. Looking for opinions on what else to add. Here are some progress pictures over the past month or so.
The plants include H. Repens, Wisteria, Dwarf Hairgrass, Bacopa Caroliniana, Dwarf Sag, Myrio Filigree, assorted Crypts, Pogo Erectus, and Creeping Jenny. I am dosing Exel once a day in the morning per instuctions.
All feedback and critisism is wanted and welcome!

Attachments

• 20180622_234329.jpg
    20180622_234329.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180624_180508.jpg
    20180624_180508.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Snapchat-1289814816.jpg
    Snapchat-1289814816.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20180721_190019.jpg
    20180721_190019.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 130
Well I figured I would start a thread on my newest tank, I got out of the aquarium game for a while because school and life got in the way, but now have the time to dedicate to new tank. I went with a 20g long because, well, I already had it. My plans were to dirt it and have a planted community tank. So far I've stocked it with a school of ten Neon Tetra and looking to add some Red Cherry Shrimp. Looking for opinions on what else to add. Here are some progress pictures over the past month or so.
The plants include H. Repens, Wisteria, Dwarf Hairgrass, Bacopa Caroliniana, Dwarf Sag, Myrio Filigree, assorted Crypts, Pogo Erectus, and Creeping Jenny. I am dosing Exel once a day in the morning per instuctions.
All feedback and critisism is wanted and welcome!

very nice reid! the tank is turning out very nicely. everything looks to be healthy and growing great. you could use just a bit more light on the far right side but other than that this is looking very good.

now for what else you can put in the tank. if you like centerpiece fish you pretty much cant go wrong with a gourami. love them and they come in a good variety. i would say a few honey gouramis or single blue, gold, redflame,liquorice or dwarf powder blue gouramis are nice. another go to for me is white cloud minnows(24k gold variety are my favorite). they stay small so you can put a good bit of them in, nice colorings of like a bright flesh tone color with nice red fins. they are a little colder water fish and most will say dont keep them with warmer water fish and this is true but i keep mine at 74 degrees and they are doing just fine. that would be very top temp for them. they are also pretty active fish but dont really school. some long fin leopard danios are nice for alot of action in the tank and also stay small. it was recommended to me that rummynose tetras are nice active schooling fish. you could squeeze in probably 6-8 of them. i lately have been wanting some killifish and that might be a good option for you. a very very wide variety of colors to go with and they stay smallish around 2-3" inches each. welp those are my recommendations. i cant wait to see your tank in another 2 weeks when things are grown in even more. keep up the good work.

Thank you! I am thinking about switching around my plants on the right to behind my driftwood, and moving the dwarf sag that is behind it currently, to the right. Hoping that'll open the tank up a little, and solve my problem with my HOB blowing the taller plants over

Thank you! I am thinking about switching around my plants on the right to behind my driftwood, and moving the dwarf sag that is behind it currently, to the right. Hoping that'll open the tank up a little, and solve my problem with my HOB blowing the taller plants over

i deal with the same problem in some of my tanks especially with the myrio. its so thin and flimsy and it gets blown all around. if you are going to keep that corner not well lit then i say move the dwarf to the back behind your creeping jenny. in low light the dwarf sag will grow tall( like 6-8 inches tall). i do think the myrio or the pogo erectus would be great in the left corner. erectus likes alot of light and co2. it will grow very bushing and tall. i personally would go with the myrio in the far far left and then the erectus just to the right of it.

Just an update on the tank! I introduced a small group of Red Cherry Shrimp, rearranged my plant layout, and added more filtration/biomedia. Everything seems to be very stable parameter wise, dosing Excel daily in the morning and Florish once a week or when I think about it, and weekly 25% WC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-014416.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-014416.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180727_171240.jpg
    20180727_171240.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 77
Very nice! The staur repens and AR complement each other well.
Thank you! I'm very limited on room for plants, debating on rearranging once again and downsizing my plant selection for this tank

Back
Top Bottom