rescaped 10 community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yah I want to get my shrimp first but I'm super excited about the crab. One thing though that I was wondering is I have read and heard that shrimp like an established tank. But how long do they mean by established? My tank has been cycles and had fisb in for like 3 weeks. Is that "established" enough?

Tcal01 said:
Yah I want to get my shrimp first but I'm super excited about the crab. One thing though that I was wondering is I have read and heard that shrimp like an established tank. But how long do they mean by established? My tank has been cycles and had fisb in for like 3 weeks. Is that "established" enough?

IMO, no that's not established. Other people have different opinions but my idea of established is maybe 3 or 4 months. The reason for an established tank is for the shrimp to graze on biofilm that tanks naturally create. New tanks may not have enough. I hope someone else will chime in as I am still learning. Try adding maybe like 10 shrimp like RCS. You might want to supplement them with algea wafers and bottom feeder pellets (the pellets give them calcium for breeding and such, if I'm not mistaken) just see how the 10 shrimp go. If they do well and some are berried, then you can add more. When they're comfortable an not threatened, they will start to reproduce. I'm still a beginner, so don't quote me on anything lol. What kind of shrimp are you thinking about for this tank?:) (sorry if you already mentioned what type lol)

I was thinking of adding 10 rcs and that's it. My tank is already pretty full (8 Harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, and 2 otos). So I'm only trying to keep a small group of shrimp and then that micro crab :). Do the crabs also need an established tank?

Tcal01 said:
I was thinking of adding 10 rcs and that's it. My tank is already pretty full (8 Harlequin rasboras, 1 betta, and 2 otos). So I'm only trying to keep a small group of shrimp and then that micro crab :). Do the crabs also need an established tank?

I wouldn't even botther worrying about shrimp at all. Their bioload is so incredibly small. You betta might be a problem though. Both for baby's and adults. It varies from betta to betta though. As long as you don't have over 100 shrimp, your fine:). (10 shrimp every 1 gallon is the usual stocking rate for shrimp) I'm pretty sure the micro crabs are filter feeders, so I think that would be a good idea, but try it out! Lol do you know where your going to buy the micro crab?:)

Austin.b said:
I wouldn't even botther worrying about shrimp at all. Their bioload is so incredibly small. You betta might be a problem though. Both for baby's and adults. It varies from betta to betta though. As long as you don't have over 100 shrimp, your fine:). (10 shrimp every 1 gallon is the usual stocking rate for shrimp) I'm pretty sure the micro crabs are filter feeders, so I think that would be a good idea, but try it out! Lol do you know where your going to buy the micro crab?:)

I'm mostly likely going to buy them off the site u found and posted in this thread. And ibmight just buy 5 shrimp first to see how my betta behaves. He does like to swim towards the bottom of the tank for some reason

Tcal01 said:
I'm mostly likely going to buy them off the site u found and posted in this thread. And ibmight just buy 5 shrimp first to see how my betta behaves. He does like to swim towards the bottom of the tank for some reason

Oh, ok just wondering lol. You could always try ghost shrimp. Theyre like 45 cents a piece just to see how your betta reacts to them. Also, If you want to see more shrimplets, try adding water lettuce or bunched up plants for them to hide in:)

Austin.b said:
Oh, ok just wondering lol. You could always try ghost shrimp. Theyre like 45 cents a piece just to see how your betta reacts to them. Also, If you want to see more shrimplets, try adding water lettuce or bunched up plants for them to hide in:)

Yah I'm trying to get a carpet of dwarf hairgass going mixed in with some microswords. I want to try adding either excel or putting in some root tabs to help them along. Do u have any expirience with these products?

Tcal01 said:
Yah I'm trying to get a carpet of dwarf hairgass going mixed in with some microswords. I want to try adding either excel or putting in some root tabs to help them along. Do u have any expirience with these products?

IMO, dwarf hairgrass is kind of a hard plant to work with. Some say you need a fertile soil, high light, and co2. You will need lots of light for any carpeting plant. (too low of a ligh, and the plant will just grow upwards) I definetly agree with the high light, and CO2. I'm pretty sure the soil should be sand or a light gravel that dosent restrict root development.( I'm sure you already know this though lol) root tabs are always a +! Lol I don't have any root tabs currently, but looking to get some in the near future. I have never used excel, but I know alot of people who do. I also heard that if you dose the full quantity, it may melt some plants ( I think mostly crypts?) if you do end up going with it, start sowing it in small quantities and work your way up:) so that your plants get used to it. I'm kind of scared to use excel with shrimp, but that's just me lol I'm sure it's shrimp safe though. Id double check that with another user though. Oh, quick tip, never use anything that has copper in it. Invertebrates are EXTREMELY sensitive to copper. Some foods have copper, so that's ok. Just stay away from medicines and ferts that have alot of it. (sorry if you already know this lol) have you had any experience with shrimp before? Would you like a basic rundown on shrimp? Lol sorry for the looonnnggg post too haha

My dwarf hairgrass and microswords have actually started spreading. I was actually surprised by that cuz i didnt think they were going to carpet either but i figured id try anyway. It will proboably be a very thin carpet tho. My substrate is just cement sand with gravel on top. I have aabout 2.8 w/g and all my plants are growing well. I just wanted that extra boost to get things going. And no I do not have any past experience with sshrimp or any kind of invertebrate. I have been doing research tho.

Tcal01 said:
My dwarf hairgrass and microswords have actually started spreading. I was actually surprised by that cuz i didnt think they were going to carpet either but i figured id try anyway. It will proboably be a very thin carpet tho. My substrate is just cement sand with gravel on top. I have aabout 2.8 w/g and all my plants are growing well. I just wanted that extra boost to get things going. And no I do not have any past experience with sshrimp or any kind of invertebrate. I have been doing research tho.

Oh ok, nice!! Glad to see you have a carpet in the making!! Lol I use API plant food which is bassicly just iron. My shrimp have had no negative affects to it. You could use that as an iron supplement if need be. I'm sorry, I have TON of algebra to do, I will post some facts about shrimp and how to take care of them tomorrow. Also what they like, parameter wise. Errrgg 8th grade... >.< my mortal enemy haha anyways, talk to you tomm, goodnite:)

Back
Top Bottom