rescaped 10 community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I originally posted this in "planted tank" but I figures I would get more input here. The pic on the left is the before and the one on the right is the after

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120205_194120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120205_194120.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20120205_194135.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120205_194135.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 163
Nice!!!! Love it! Have you though about attaching some moss to the driftwood in the back ? :) an maybe to the stone In the front?:)

Yah definitely. I was thinking either flame moss or crystalwort. Crystalwort especially cuz it can be a floating plant too. I was thinking maybe a moss wall too since I'm going to be getting shrimp soon. Will my betta hunt down the shrimp?

Tcal01 said:
Yah definitely. I was thinking either flame moss or crystalwort. Crystalwort especially cuz it can be a floating plant too. I was thinking maybe a moss wall too since I'm going to be getting shrimp soon. Will my betta hunt down the shrimp?

Wow! Thats a really good choice in moss. You may have a problem gettin your hands on some though:/ don't oder any off eBay because US customs may seize it. A moss wall is beautiful, but detritus may get stuck in in. To be honest, it really depends on the betta itself. For sure the betta will eat any shrimplets. You could go with some ghost shrimp as they get much bigger and possibly could hold it's own over a small hungry fish.

Yah I have read some experiences on here about people who have ordered moss from sketchy places. If I have to order online it will most likely be from live aquaria. And the moss wall wouldn't absorb the detritus like a fertilizer? The other fish I have in there are Harlequin rasboras and otos. Do they pose any threat to shrimp? I am most likely interested in getting rcs

Tcal01 said:
Yah I have read some experiences on here about people who have ordered moss from sketchy places. If I have to order online it will most likely be from live aquaria. And the moss wall wouldn't absorb the detritus like a fertilizer? The other fish I have in there are Harlequin rasboras and otos. Do they pose any threat to shrimp? I am most likely interested in getting rcs

Yes, but it may be overwhelming to the moss if there is a significant buildup. I hope someone else will chime in with their opinion or experience with this. As for the stocking, I don't see any problems at all. I have a pair of ottos in my shrimp tank and they have never done any wrong! Lol when I looked on planetinverts.com, it said the only fish that is 100% fine with shrimp of any kind and maturity, is the otto cat. The Rasboras might eat newly hatched shrimp, but if there's enough hiding spaces some will survive. You also have to cover up your filter intake with floss or a sponge so juvenile shrimp don't get sucked in. RCS are a great starter shrimp! I have a colony of my own and as soon as there are too many, I'll let you know;)

I'll attach a pic o my filter intake so you get an idea.

View attachment 75156

Can u just get a sponge like that at any lfs? Oh and I read the thread where u added micro crabs to your tank. What are they like and how available r they?

Tcal01 said:
Can u just get a sponge like that at any lfs? Oh and I read the thread where u added micro crabs to your tank. What are they like and how available r they?

Yeah! The one there is the sponge for an aquaclear 50. Oh btw the filter I'm running on the shrimp tank is an aquaclear 50. Just buy the sponge and cut a hole in it for the intake tube. Remember to rinse it out in tank water weekly to get all the nasty stuff out of it. As for the micro crab, they're so peacuful!!!!!! Ive had a shrimp sit on its back for a free ride and the crab never did anything! He has walked right past and sometimes even crawled over shrimp. He's really active and fun to watch. He won't even try to steal shrimp pellets away from the shrimp. As for availability, I'm not too sure. Today was the first time I have ever seen them. My LFS store varies in inverts every week. I am going to pick up another one tomorrow before they are all gone. You could try to find them online, but I've never seen them online either.

Yah im definitely going to do some research on them. They seem so cool! I can already see one crawling around on the travel in my tank

Yah im definitely going to do some research on them. They seem so cool! I can already see one crawling around on the gravel in my tank

Tcal01 said:
Yah im definitely going to do some research on them. They seem so cool! I can already see one crawling around on the gravel in my tank

Yeah they're really cool! Lol

Yah I saw that too. I went on aqadvisor to see if I could fit one in but they don't have them on there yet. Thers supposedly very little known about them.

Tcal01 said:
Yah I saw that too. I went on aqadvisor to see if I could fit one in but they don't have them on there yet. Thers supposedly very little known about them.

Oh really? Hmm that's strage. I actually heard of some people breeding them, but I think the babies are microscopic or something like that lol probably not microscopic, but really really small. Also, I read that one persons babies died bec ause he didn't leave the light on. Lol, they're pretty strange and cool creatures!

Hey I found a store online that sells micro crabs. It's called alphabreeders.com check under the shrimp and snails section

I'm not sure.if I'm gonna have space for one :(. My tank is nearing being fully stocked and once I put my shrimp and its going to be at maximum capacity. How much waste do they put out?

Tcal01 said:
I'm not sure.if I'm gonna have space for one :(. My tank is nearing being fully stocked and once I put my shrimp and its going to be at maximum capacity. How much waste do they put out?

I'm pretty sure as much as a shrimp. I have 2 in my fully stocked tank, with shrimp and fish, and the water quality hasn't been affected at all.

Austin.b said:
I'm pretty sure as much as a shrimp. I have 2 in my fully stocked tank, with shrimp and fish, and the water quality hasn't been affected at all.

Sweet. I'm definitely goin to look into one of those! :)

Tcal01 said:
Sweet. I'm definitely goin to look into one of those! :)

Sweet! Be sure to post some pics!:) lol, I'm thinking I'm going to add maybe 1-2 more actually. I was discussing it with some members from PlantedTank.net, and I actually spoke with a woman that breeds microcrabs. She said that I could put some more in because their bio load is so minuscule. Can't wait to add more;) probably this weekend

Back
Top Bottom