Semi-Aggressive Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oranbega

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Putting together a new tank. We're cycling before we introduce any fish but things are looking really good here chemistry wise. We currently only have one resident, Carmichael the Marimo Moss. We can't go planted because of some for the species we're hoping to introduce. Would love any feedback positive or negative = ).

Attachments

• image-2583924010.jpg
    image-2583924010.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 185
  • image-515633061.jpg
    image-515633061.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 175
:welcome: to AA

It will help to know what fish your going to add to better answer the question. I think its a great start as I always change mine like once a month lol

Andrew McFadden said:
:welcome: to AA

It will help to know what fish your going to add to better answer the question. I think its a great start as I always change mine like once a month lol

Thanks! We're starting with some tiger barbs and Picts catfish. Ultimately we'd like to add an iridescent shark.

Oranbega said:
Thanks! We're starting with some tiger barbs and Picts catfish. Ultimately we'd like to add an iridescent shark.

You would need like a 400 gallon tank to keep that bad boy healthy and alive. Otherwise I think it looks great and you have a lot of room to grow. I'd make a spot that the Pictus can hide in like a cave under a rock or something.

Borderlesscott said:
What size of tank is it? and what type of filters etc will you be using.

Its a 75 gallon tank. It has a hang on back filter. We have a 200 watt heater but I'm thinking of getting another small one as we're looking to keep it close to 80 degrees.

I would get an oscar i love mine hes like a dog with scales and they eat practically anything

Oranbega said:
Its a 75 gallon tank. It has a hang on back filter. We have a 200 watt heater but I'm thinking of getting another small one as we're looking to keep it close to 80 degrees.

I'd try a get another hob filter more is always better

Yeah, sadly the iridescent shark won't work, even in a tank as large as a 75. :(. You can still do lots of stuff though. Pictus catfish like places around the edges of the tank to hide, and lots of room in the center to swim.

Yeah, we loved the look of the iridescent shark but don't want to put an animal in a habitat that isn't right for it. We think we want to stock with with:

Pictus catfish
Tiger barbs
A pleco
A red tailed shark

We are trying to determine an order to introduce them in here in a week or two after I'm done fishless cycling this tank. I was thinking barbs first since they are so hearty and can be a good baseline for our water chemistry. Ay suggestions would be awesome though!

Back
Top Bottom