showing off my 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had the 55 running for a while now and over the weekend was finally able to add the Bolivian Rams I'd wanted for several months, along with some immensely amusing black skirt tetras. Also in residence are 4 dwarf gourami (3 flame, 1 powder blue), random assortment of cories (panda, false julii, and peppered), otos, and a wealth of snails. Thanks to another forum member who shall remain anonymous, (massive nod towards kaiofcanada) I was also able to add a better variety of plants, so now everyone can have their own little territory. Everything is kind of a mess right now but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and the fish seem comfortable.

Thanks for all the help and advice to get here!

img_1051230_0_84e789d6720043ce211d9412038658fd.jpg

img_1051230_1_851a000be4c6114beeb9b892127d837d.jpg

img_1051230_2_33512dc9b23eb39e68e17902a2cbd0e2.jpg

Thanks! Occasionally, one of the tetras appears to get lost at the left end of the tank (more densely planted, away from the cory sandbox) and since they all must stick together, they all get lost together, until some brave soul races thru the leaves and gets them all to safety :ROFLMAO: For such dumb little fish, they do add a lot of character to the tank.

had you thought about a solid dark colored background to make the fish and plants stand out?

No I hadn't, just put that purple blanket up on the wall to dampen some of the noise from my neighbor and cover-up the excessive number of holes I'd put in the wall. Do you mean fabric or a particular kind of aquarium background? Good idea, would be nice to hide all those cords too!

I use a pure black background made out of plastic that you can find at almost any pet store. Just tape it to the back of the aquarium. SImple and easy and helps the look alot.

yeah, a nice solid color background would definately make everything pop... and it would hide the cords... even a piece of black plastic would work, but you can buy those backgrounds at almost any lfs... just dont get one of the fruity multi-colored backgrounds :)

Only solid color I've seen is that freaky hologram blue. Tried black fabric as background for my boyfriend's tank but unfortunately the black contrasted quite a bit with the white-ish water spots on the rear of his tank. Plastic may do better though, or maybe some kind of sheer. . . Thanks for the idea. Any other suggestions while I'm still motivated?

Only solid color I've seen is that freaky hologram blue. Tried black fabric as background for my boyfriend's tank but unfortunately the black contrasted quite a bit with the white-ish water spots on the rear of his tank. Plastic may do better though, or maybe some kind of sheer. . . Thanks for the idea. Any other suggestions while I'm still motivated?

Usually they are 2 sided with blue on 1 side and black on the other.

Back
Top Bottom