Sister's first Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes! Aquarium salt and melafix will heal him right up! 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for the salt, and do a 50% water change daily before adding half a dose of the salt, and the full dose of melafix.

Keep us updated! Sometimes those pokey plastic plants can cut them. I've never had it happen, and my Betta sits in one literally all day almost, but some people have really bad luck with them.

CoyoteWildfire said:
Mom actually owned an aquarium when she was younger. Had kissing gouramis and other types of fish in it. She really enjoyed it...

Although she didn't actually know as much about the whole thing as I do now, she also had a basic understanding that was passed onto my sister. Currently, though she doesn't have a Betta, she does have two Peacock Gudgeons in my tank. Right now the male is guarding the nest of eggs that the female laid.

Overall, it's not been just a learning experience for me, but for my whole family and that I think is a beautiful thing. And that learning experience is why I got the tank for her. With some luck, we'll have the tank cycled pretty quickly, even with the single-stage cartridge in her filter.

My dad used to have an aquarium too. Except he didn't like "boring fish", and had one Oscar named "Macza" (I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong). It means fat (insert inappropriate word here) in polish. He had one demented fin from getting in a fight too. Lol. Yup. That's my dad's fish interest.

Bettababe1011 said:
Keep us updated! Sometimes those pokey plastic plants can cut them. I've never had it happen, and my Betta sits in one literally all day almost, but some people have really bad luck with them.

And yeah it definitely was the plastic plants. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll recommend she pull out the plastic plant. I have some aquarium salt she can use too. Hopefully the recovery will be quick...

Meant to post these Saturday, but the weekend was a lot busier than expected.

Anyways, Ammonia was at .5, NitrIte .25, and NitrAte 5. It would seem that the seed material (my plants and her rocks) have had some established bacterial colonies and is helping the cycle along. Had a gallon-pwc done and will be testing again tonight.

Meant to post these Saturday, but the weekend was a lot busier than expected.

Anyways, Ammonia was at .5, NitrIte .25, and NitrAte 5. It would seem that the seed material (my plants and her rocks) have had some established bacterial colonies and is helping the cycle along. Had a gallon-pwc done and will be testing again tonight.

If ammonia was .5, you might want to consider doing a change of at least 50%. 20% will only bring it down to .4.

Well folks, here's we are!

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20.

In the end, I ended up getting a second Aquaclear 50 for my tank, thus allowing me to use my Tetra Whisper 10 as seed material.

After a good PWC, Bildeschoen seems good! Also, my sister bought some BettaFix and his tail fin has been healing marvelously!

Back
Top Bottom