Smaller than Nano, perhaps smaller than pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-cubed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is a "planting" I made with some dwarf Sagetaria, a Rush gleaned from my garden and a plantlet of Windlov Java Fern floating. The substrate is black onyx sand with a little bit of laterite; no snails, fish, shrimp or any filtration. The container is actually a very flat tulip vase, only 8x8x1 inch. Not sure what to call this. I actually wish I could put in a small snail or something, but perhaps just a mini-planting is best. It seems I got bored one day...

17923-albums190-picture1577.jpg

That would be what is known as a Pico. Fun little experiment. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

Hey I've got one of those rectangular vases. Never thought about making an aquatic planting from it. Cool idea!

Very cute! Did you see the tropical fish hobbyist magazine a few months ago? They had an article about pico tanks. One person made a planted one with gravel out of a hallowed out regular lightbulb! really neat!

To answer several of you...

I understood that Ramshorn Snails are hermaphrodites and a single one can breed many more. Is this not the case? (Still learning.)

I did see that lightbulb tank on-line somewhere.

Glad to share this with you all and thanks for looking and for your comments!

Here's the link to the article with the awesome picos.

While the small ramshorns are able to breed by themselves, I've been keeping a single one in my pico and it's doing well and not reproducing. I suspect that if you don't specifically feed them, you probably won't have much in the way of a population problem.

Well, I have plenty of baby Ramshorns! I may try one, but I am still tempted to get a very small mystery snail at the tropical fish store. The have some that are about ¼" for 30¢. If it gets too big, I can move it into a larger tank, either my quarantine tank or the "big" one.

Back
Top Bottom