Some of our livebearers- present and future breeding projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
HN1 and I spent all afternoon working in the fishroom today and I was able to get some pics while we were filling up the tanks. We are still waiting on some of these fish to mature, but the waiting has paid off for several strains and we are currently growing out lots of fry. Anyway, just wanted to share some pics.

American white guppies- currently growing out fry
img_1702340_0_8cac25f912d22fc033f3708b2dac1cb7.jpg

Peacock endlers- have lots of these and many fry
img_1702340_1_709da936c3b032144ad2f778cb45ae1b.jpg

img_1702340_2_ec41d0b3c9d6ec16661dceb983a72cf1.jpg

Xiphophorus mayae (wild type swordtails)- still waiting on these beauties to mature.
img_1702340_3_b9622b1e3dffd66eaaeb5f639496a1a3.jpg

Albino cremesicle swordtails- these still have quite a bit of growing to do, but have grown quickly since we got them a few months back.
img_1702340_4_bbe12bec6411690a247ae906a63bae7f.jpg

Hi red endlers- currently growing out fry.
img_1702342_0_15466ec72903104dda50e1204ed764ba.jpg

Red lyretail endlers- female dropped for the first time a couple of weeks ago, so have a few fry growing out with more to come for sure.
img_1702342_1_9164bc7b8d9bf8d742f4dba6395a3969.jpg

Purple moscow guppies- finally had our first drop a couple weeks ago, and the females still look really big!
img_1702342_2_24ac583328dbb43d793f4833c7d751d0.jpg

img_1702342_3_6863ff2aea84293009855044c9bb39a9.jpg

We also have black moscow gups, full black gups, snakeskin endlers, and yellow tiger endlers that are not pictured. It's hard to get pics of all these little fish. LOL

severum mama said:
HN1 and I spent all afternoon working in the fishroom today and I was able to get some pics while we were filling up the tanks. We are still waiting on some of these fish to mature, but the waiting has paid off for several strains and we are currently growing out lots of fry. Anyway, just wanted to share some pics.

American white guppies- currently growing out fry

Peacock endlers- have lots of these and many fry

Xiphophorus mayae (wild type swordtails)- still waiting on these beauties to mature.

Albino cremesicle swordtails- these still have quite a bit of growing to do, but have grown quickly since we got them a few months back.

Wow i love these fish!! Especially the peacock endlers and wild swordtails!! Do you have any pictures of these species, but as adults?

Wow i love these fish!! Especially the peacock endlers and wild swordtails!! Do you have any pictures of these species, but as adults?

Thanks... the endlers and gups pictured are adults. They have not reached maximum adult size, but they are sexually mature and breeding. The babies look like little gray fish so I didn't get pics of the babies. The mayaes look pretty much like what we have, only much larger and the color improves with age.

Last edited:
Wow! The fish look super duper nice, awesome and gorgeous coloration! I love the wild-type swordtail especiallly. That would be something I would want in my tank. So sweet! You planning on selling them?

Sure, but we have to get them breeding first! LOL. We'll turn in a bag for breeder points with our local club, then we will start selling them. :)

...They haven't started breeding yet? Livebearers are usually at it every day. They must be sterile or neutered :huh:

Huh...maybe you should ship em to me for free, and I'll get them to start breeding for you...

:brows:
:flowers:

severum mama said:
Sure, but we have to get them breeding first! LOL. We'll turn in a bag for breeder points with our local club, then we will start selling them. :)

Breeder points? Haha ill keep you in mind for those swordtails..they seem like they could even be a nice centerpiece lol

Do they like to be in groups?

...They haven't started breeding yet? Livebearers are usually at it every day. They must be sterile or neutered :huh:

Huh...maybe you should ship em to me for free, and I'll get them to start breeding for you...

:brows:
:flowers:
They are not sexually mature. This species gets big and ours aren't even close to adult size yet. LOL.

Breeder points? Haha ill keep you in mind for those swordtails..they seem like they could even be a nice centerpiece lol

Do they like to be in groups?
Yes, our local club does a breeder appreciation program. You earn points for turning in fish or inverts that you have bred. There are several titles you can earn depending on the number of points you have, and for each title you earn a plaque.

I don't know how they would do in a community, but they are pretty aggressive with each other. LOL.

severum mama said:
Yes, our local club does a breeder appreciation program. You earn points for turning in fish or inverts that you have bred. There are several titles you can earn depending on the number of points you have, and for each title you earn a plaque.

I don't know how they would do in a community, but they are pretty aggressive with each other. LOL.

What?! That is so cool about the points..how many plaques have you won? Haha

Too bad theyr agressive, they have some great coloration

What?! That is so cool about the points..how many plaques have you won? Haha

Too bad theyr agressive, they have some great coloration

We just turned in a bag of juvie CPOs that put us over the 100 point mark, to earn our first plaque. We have only been members of the club for a couple of years. I would recommend club membership to anyone who really wants to expand their knowledge and experience in the hobby. Our club has several members that make us look like total noobs. We drive an hour to get to the meetings and it's totally worth it.

As for the aggressiveness, those mayae are quite snippy with each other and I suspect that they are going to need an upgrade from their current tank as they grow, even though they are the only 4 fish in a 20 high.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
We just turned in a bag of juvie CPOs that put us over the 100 point mark, to earn our first plaque. We have only been members of the club for a couple of years. I would recommend club membership to anyone who really wants to expand their knowledge and experience in the hobby. Our club has several members that make us look like total noobs. We drive an hour to get to the meetings and it's totally worth it.

As for the aggressiveness, those mayae are quite snippy with each other and I suspect that they are going to need an upgrade from their current tank as they grow, even though they are the only 4 fish in a 20 high.

That is so great, a community of people obsessed with fish! I would love to find a club around here. And people that make you and HN1 look lile noobs...holy cow! What do they do, turn in tank bred lionfish every week? Lol :)

Thats a bummer they are nippy, i know i would love to buy one later on, and so would bruins

No, it's just a FW club. There is a reef club too, that's separate. I'm just talking about people with such extensive experience with FW that they make us look like noobs. LOL. There are some folks in our club that can breed ANYTHING, it seems.

Yeah, like I said I am not sure how these fish would behave in a community tank, or in a large tank. They have a lot of growing to do so I do not expect fry anytime soon. They have only been sexable for a month or two at this point.

I'm jealous of your fish. Especially that male guppy in the fish picture and your swordtails:) The endlers and other guppies are cool looking too. Do you have any snakeskin guppies??

Back
Top Bottom