Start of 72 bow angel/community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Going to paint the back glass black soon and I want to change the substrate to either smaller gravel or sand. Also I had planned on going a planted before stocking but ended up rescuing all of these fish from pretty disgusting conditions so that got put on hold but will eventually plant when I have the means to empty the tank and change the substrate and add some laterite. Will be taking about 5 more angels this week from a friend who is changing to discus

Attachments

• image-459973893.jpg
    image-459973893.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image-3998285742.jpg
    image-3998285742.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 297
Nice.

I just switched my tank over to sand the other week and it went pretty easy and fast. I had my fish in buckets for an hour, maybe 2 tops. I was surprised at how fast and smooth it went. I think you could do the change without another tank and then just slowly pick away at planting it as you can.

tamtam said:
Nice.

I just switched my tank over to sand the other week and it went pretty easy and fast. I had my fish in buckets for an hour, maybe 2 tops. I was surprised at how fast and smooth it went. I think you could do the change without another tank and then just slowly pick away at planting it as you can.

Yea I was thinking about using the Rubbermaid bin I have should hold about 40 gal on water I was planning on using so I'm thinking this weekend ill do it. As long as I don't have to work OT. And I actually am getting some plants from my buddy whose giving me his angels. Do should be a nice start. And I'm also thinking about doin nutrient bed. I'd like to make this go as smooth as possible with plants being my first planted since I've always kept fish that would just destroy them like my Africans or the Piranhas I had

I also have heard conflicting advice on the use of laterite. Some say its not necessary others say they'd never do a planted without it. So I'd like a few diff pols opinions and experience when it comes to the nutrient bed. Also with me being a beginner plant keeper would it be a hood idea to use it just to be safe. I mean the stuff is pretty inexpensive so I'm thinking I might just do it. I just don't know.

I'm also wondering that since I'm switching substrate how much do I need to worry about a mini cycle and ammonia and nitrite spikes

Yea I was thinking about using the Rubbermaid bin I have should hold about 40 gal on water I was planning on using so I'm thinking this weekend ill do it. As long as I don't have to work OT. And I actually am getting some plants from my buddy whose giving me his angels. Do should be a nice start. And I'm also thinking about doin nutrient bed. I'd like to make this go as smooth as possible with plants being my first planted since I've always kept fish that would just destroy them like my Africans or the Piranhas I had

If you go with a substrate that has a clouding risk use a plate in the bottom of your tank on top of the substrate.

I saw this tip online and it worked wonders. I just layed a plate down over my sand and directed my water flow onto that, I had to use buckets to fill the tank. It broke up the stream and I barely had any clouding at all.

I filled my tank, added my decor and then added the fish. This is my tank a couple hours if that after filling it.

5530-albums10517-picture44409.jpg

I'm also planning to plant it but it's going to be a slow process. First planted as well but I need to figure out my lighting first.

tamtam said:
If you go with a substrate that has a clouding risk use a plate in the bottom of your tank on top of the substrate.

I saw this tip online and it worked wonders. I just layed a plate down over my sand and directed my water flow onto that, I had to use buckets to fill the tank. It broke up the stream and I barely had any clouding at all.

I filled my tank, added my decor and then added the fish. This is my tank a couple hours if that after filling it.

I'm also planning to plant it but it's going to be a slow process. First planted as well but I need to figure out my lighting first.

Yea I did that in my 125 but filled with a hose and just used a big flat rock I had and a slow rate of flow for filling. My 125 was a huge undertaking so I'm hoping this goes faster

I have had aquariums for about 30+ years but never had an angel fish. I just set up a 29g biocube and a friend of mine threw a few fish in to help the tank get started. Two of the fish are these pair of AF and so far they have been very pleasant. They hang in their own corner by a plant and don't bother a thing. Good luck, tank looks great.

Attachments

• image-3363877161.jpg
    image-3363877161.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 134
Got it planted over the weekend. And added a confirmed mated pair of bolivian rams.

Attachments

• image-2075001483.jpg
    image-2075001483.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 154
bigbanker said:
The tank looks great. are all the plants live or are they silk plants?

There all live now. My angels are destroying all the Rotala verticillaris tho. I have to replant them like every day. And they've picked almost the whole stem of some completely clean.

They've started taking after my water sprites now too. Am I underfeeding them possibly, and that why they're destroying my plants now?

Back
Top Bottom