Start of my 55g Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duddits said:
Thanks for the advice. I was not aware of the haps seeing that I've read in other forums they are ok in a 55 but limited. I found a good thread on cichlid forums. What do u think? I think I am going to use this selection.

Select any 3 species (max 12 fishes):
• Metriaclima estherae
• Pseudotropheus saulosi
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
• Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
• Labidochromis caeruleus
• Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
• Labidochromis chisimulae
• Iodotropheus sprengerae
• Cynotilapia afra
Do not mix any Labidochromis species.

I would pick 2 species with a 1 male to 6-7 female ratio and then your school of 5-7 snydontis cats one of the smaller genus. IMO Acei need a 6' tank.

Yeah I'm reading about aceis and minimum recommended tank is a 70g. Bummer I really like the acei. What about peacocks, where do they play in a 55g?

Duddits said:
Yeah I'm reading about aceis and minimum recommended tank is a 70g. Bummer I really like the acei. What about peacocks, where do they play in a 55g?

I kept my peacocks in a 55 in a breeding colony so I wouldn't get hybrids. Stock in the same ratio as Mbuna to reduce aggression.

Picked up 4 really nice pieces of drift wood for my tank out by the beach near my home. Currently soaking them in a cooler over the next 2 weeks and changing out the water each day. I'll post pics soon. If anyone is looking for pieces here in Jacksonville, message me, I'll tell u where to go.

I've seen several tank set ups with driftwood. Yes it can lower the ph but with the substrate I have and with careful monitoring, it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom