Stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riot84

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a new 55 gallon and so far I've moved 3 red minor tetras and my betta from my 10 gal into it. I've also added 6 giant danios. Looking for ideas to finish up my stock.
Also looking for ideas for my now empty 10 gal, as well as the 20 long and the other 55 I have in the garage. Thanks for your help. :)

im going to assume everything is cycled/ going to be cycled before you put fish in so

in the new 55G i would take the betta out and put it back in the 10 with some shrimp, get more tetras for their group. i would then get some angels maybe, or rams, plus some cories for the bottom

Yes everything is cycled. The betta will prolly end up back in the 10. And I kinda wanted to not do cichlids in the new 55 but I'll think about your suggestions. Thanks. :)

Yes everything is cycled. The betta will prolly end up back in the 10. And I kinda wanted to not do cichlids in the new 55 but I'll think about your suggestions. Thanks. :)

no worries a site i like to look at for the pictures is this,

Welcome to Aquarium Domain.com Freshwater Aquarium Home Page.

click on the community fish profiles and do some searching, its a relatively new site so they are missing some fish but its still pretty good

Still looking for some good centerpiece fish. Thinking about some type of gouramis perhaps but still undecided.

Ok. So it's turned into a tetra tank. Gave the danios to my cousin and am now up to 6 red minors 6 black skirts 6 bloodfins and 20 neons. Oh and 5 peppered cories. I'd say I'm pretty much stocked. :)

Rainbows go great with tetras. I used to have all the tetras you do with various rainbows. You still have some room in there as long as you have proper filtration and do regular cleaning. I had about 60 fish in my old 55g with no issues. I ran two Penguin 350 filters and did a 10g water change once a week.

Ok. So most of the neons died :/
But I've since added 4 tiger barbs, a redtail shark, an eclipse cat, 2 blue and 2 gold gouramis. All of them do just fine together and the tank is looking great. I'm setting up a 37 gal soon with a pirate theme and I'm trying to think of fish that may fit that. Any ideas?

Riot84 said:
Ok. So most of the neons died :/
But I've since added 4 tiger barbs, a redtail shark, an eclipse cat, 2 blue and 2 gold gouramis. All of them do just fine together and the tank is looking great. I'm setting up a 37 gal soon with a pirate theme and I'm trying to think of fish that may fit that. Any ideas?

Watch out. The Gouramis will probably fight as they mature. All the same species and very territorial !

The Eclipse Cat will probably eat any small fish that fit in his mouth at night.

Go SLOW when stocking. Picking by looks without research tends to kill fish.

Good luck.

schooling fish (neons, danios, etc.) are great, and when put in large groups look BEAUTIFUL in large tanks where they have lots of swimming room.
PLEASE THOUGH:
I read that you put a betta in that tank with those other fish. What many people fail to realize is that bettas are solitary, and prefer to have their own tank. Bettas are not a community fish, nor should they be treated like one. They are beautiful fish but have a tendency to pick on, bully, or kill other fish, whether their own kind or not. You should definately move the betta back to his 10 gallon! You might have a betta with a much calmer temperment than most, but it is always better safe than sorry. Many bettas will not tolerate "tank mates" or "buddies". The only thing I have ever seen work with a betta was a pair of snails. They were great for cleanup in the beginning, but they hid a lot because they were always scared of the betta (he bullied them). And the betta was constantly stressed out with the snails. He kept trying to defend his territory by biting and nipping the snails. It was just a big mess, so I would recommend keeping your betta by itself in the future...

Bettaluv said:
schooling fish (neons, danios, etc.) are great, and when put in large groups look BEAUTIFUL in large tanks where they have lots of swimming room.
PLEASE THOUGH:
I read that you put a betta in that tank with those other fish. What many people fail to realize is that bettas are solitary, and prefer to have their own tank. Bettas are not a community fish, nor should they be treated like one. They are beautiful fish but have a tendency to pick on, bully, or kill other fish, whether their own kind or not. You should definately move the betta back to his 10 gallon! You might have a betta with a much calmer temperment than most, but it is always better safe than sorry. Many bettas will not tolerate "tank mates" or "buddies". The only thing I have ever seen work with a betta was a pair of snails. They were great for cleanup in the beginning, but they hid a lot because they were always scared of the betta (he bullied them). And the betta was constantly stressed out with the snails. He kept trying to defend his territory by biting and nipping the snails. It was just a big mess, so I would recommend keeping your betta by itself in the future...

Bettas are often bullied themselves in "community tanks". I had a Betta for 6 years in a 12g with White Clouds. They did great. But he killed the Corys. Bettas and Gouramis are a bad mix. They like the same areas.

Guess I forgot to mention that the Betta was moved out of the 55 fairly quickly. He has his own tank (Marineland Crescent 3). So no worries on that front. Sorry for the confusion. :)

BHead707 said:
im going to assume everything is cycled/ going to be cycled before you put fish in so

in the new 55G i would take the betta out and put it back in the 10 with some shrimp, get more tetras for their group. i would then get some angels maybe, or rams, plus some cories for the bottom

Don't most bettas eat shrimp tho?

Back
Top Bottom