Tarkus2112's "Epic 55 Gallon of Superbness"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
After years of research and months of planning. This is the end result.

55 Gallon Oak Perfecto Tank
48"x13" Oak Perfecto Stand
48"x13" Perfecto Glass Canopy
AquaticLife Dual T-5 HO Freshwater Light
2-Hagen AquaClear 70's
Aqueon Pro 250w Heater
Sybon Digital Submersible Thermometer
80 Lbs of gravel
10 Lbs. of sand
10-15 lbs of sandstone
A bunch of plants
A few decorations
and a lot, a lot of misc. items.
Oh yeah! I almost forgot the most important thing. PATIENCE.

This is about 36 hours after setup. As you can see the Dual AC70's do their job well. :D Sorry about the picture quality. I used my phone.

View attachment 25835

The rear-left area behind the red sandstone is the "sandbox" that I made for the corys I plan to get. It's approx 8"x14" and 2" deep. And for some reason it looks like I don't have a top on my tank but I do have a glass canopy. The reflection is creating some sort of wierd illusion.

Let me know what you think. I'm curious to hear your opinions. I for one have a perma-grin that hasn't left my face since I set this bad boy up. :D

I will post better quality pics to after the fishless cycle is complete. :crazyeyes:

I really like it. The ONLY thing I would change, if it were mine, would be removing all of the fake stuff and replacing it with natural (driftwood, etc). I think you've done an awesome job :)

I really like it. The ONLY thing I would change, if it were mine, would be removing all of the fake stuff and replacing it with natural (driftwood, etc). I think you've done an awesome job :)

Thanks man! I appreciate that. :D Especially coming from a seasoned fishkeeper like yourself.

I'm only using the fake stuff as a starting off point. This is my first legit aquarium and it seemed less complicated and I was honestly overwhelmed with all the requirements for using live plants. In the future, after this setup runs smooth for awhile, I would love to upgrade to a fully planted, natural setup.

I'm only using the fake stuff as a starting off point. This is my first legit aquarium and it seemed less complicated and I was honestly overwhelmed with all the requirements for using live plants. In the future, after this setup runs smooth for awhile, I would love to upgrade to a fully planted, natural setup.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out then ;) While I think it would probably be easier to go with what your end goal is in the beginning (tearing apart a tank once it is established is a pain), I certainly give you kudos for having it all planned out and doing your research before. Keep up the good work!

Looks very nice! Like mfd, the big thing I would change would be the fake for real stuff. I wouldn't think (especially given that you already bought the expensive lights) that you have all that far to go to convert it over.

Might be something you could work on slowly replacing a little at a time. But over all, very nice job.

Nice work for your first time out, wish i could say my 1st turned out as well. Listen to that mfd he really knows his stuff ;)

Looks very nice - love the thread title too btw!

Consider painting those intakes on the ACs to black. They'll blend right into the background and almost disappear.

Looks very nice! Like mfd, the big thing I would change would be the fake for real stuff. I wouldn't think (especially given that you already bought the expensive lights) that you have all that far to go to convert it over.

Might be something you could work on slowly replacing a little at a time. But over all, very nice job.

The T-5 seemed like a better choice in the long run. The Perfecto full hood with dual florescent bulbs was $99.99, while the dual T-5 was $134.99 and the bulbs last twice as long and are overall more efficient and brighter. Seemed like a no brainer. haha :D and like you said, I have the capability of going planted in the future, all I have to do is ease into it.

Lookin' good.

My first tank was ugly. I had purple and pink gravel (yeah, I grew up in the 80's when Vans were first coming out, so purple and pink was the "in" thing) fake plants, one of those corny treasure chests that open from bubbles. Yeah, it was just bad.

Beautiful tank. I agree with these guys about going natural right from the start. You'll be glad you did. Question: what are you using for a sandbox?

Do you mean what kind of sand? or what kind of rock to hold back the sand?

The sand is AquaTerra Natural Tan sand
and I used Red Desert Sandstone as a "retaining" wall

Sorry, I mean the rock.

I got it from "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. I'm lucky because it is like 15 mins from my house. :)

The pieces vary, but on average they're like 3" wide X 6 " tall x 5" long. I'll try to post up some more detailed pictures for you.

i agree i was talking to a blue zoo (fish shop) here in aussie and he was saying all the painted stuff for fish is painted with lead paint and that the coloured stones have calcium in them.

The guy at the fish shop only sells stuff thats bred in australia and decor wise only stones and rocks , drifts wood and terracotta

:D

Back
Top Bottom