The Highlander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billydreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just wanted to share this.

This is The Highlander.
img_849217_0_6535716324f576cf94361fa0fb1ca396.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what kind of fish he is. I got him in a 12 pack of feeder goldfish from my LFS. (Is he just a dark goldfish?) Anyway, he and all the rest of the gold fish were destined to become food for my Red Ear Slider turtle, Madmartigan about 3 months ago when I got them. I should have known better than to give him so much live food before the winter; he tends to go into a stasis like hibernation, where he's still awake, but hardly eats anything for a few months.

Anyway, I found lately that my turtle was not that happy in his tank, and I wanted to get some SW fish, it also happened that through my girlfriend, I was able to donate my turtle to a home for people with developmental disabilities to be used in a small zoo area.

When I was preparing to donate my turtle, I came to realize/remember that there was still a feeder fish in my 20 gal tank that he had never eaten, so I had to figure out what to do. I decided that he had lived a couragous life so far, and he deserved to be rewared. I bought him his own small bowl, and the smallest Whisper filter/bubbler there is. He can now live out the rest of his life, safe as can be from turtles, in his own private tank.

He was the only one to survive. There can be only one. He is: The Highlander.

He's very cute. Many goldfish start out black or dark and change colors when they get bigger. He will quickly outgrow that bowl just to prepare you.

Yeah, ironically the 20 gallon you gave away would have been about the right size for him.

He looks like a Common Goldfish, as for the color, I disagree with Zagz. I have seen adults that color before. There is a picture of one here near the bottom. The one pictured is captioned as a "wild-type".

yeah thats a common goldfish with wild-type coloration. Very cool looking fish! I hope you get him a bigger tank lol.

He is starting to grow a bit. I am going to get him a new tank shortly. It's more a matter of space in my home than in the bowl right now!

I keep goldfish in a plastic potter I found at my grandparents' house a long time ago. It's great and offers the fish plenty of space.

Back
Top Bottom