The Love it or Hate it Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpiguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here goes, this is tank #2 after being out of the hobby for a long time.

Some of you have seen my 55: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/first-new-tank-in-almost-a-decade-freshwater-217171.html

I decided I wanted another tank, not as big, for just a few fish.

I love the look of reef tanks, but schedules and an absolute lack of any quality SW dealers within 100 miles means that's a no go.

So I went for the fake reef with freshwater.

It's an Aqueon 29 that I got as a package deal. Big sale, cheaper to buy the packaged tank than to just buy a tank/top/light combo.

I'm giving the Aqueon 30 filter a shot, but not so pleased so far. Def not the advertised 200 gph flow. Not even close. Heater is fine and will do until it dies.

I'm using an AZOO bubble filter behind the large fake coral piece to supplement bio filtration and aid in gas exchange because the Aqueon 30 filter has almost no surface movement. The AZOO will be seeded in the 55.

Substrate is CaribSea Torpedo Beach, 40 pounds. Decorations are all Petsmart and the OSI Anchor from Foster Smith. I tried to find the most "salwaterey" (I just invented a word) plants, with thick leaves to imitate a bit of seaweed. I'm not sold on the fake anenome, and it is probably coming out. It looks great out of the tank, in the tank when the arms float out, it doesn't sit right to me. It does move nicely though. Would provide good shrimp cover. The fake corals are full of holes and tons of cover, which is good. In person, the algae and rock looks very real underwater.

Not sure on fish yet. Your suggestions will be taken with serious consideration. Two items that WILL be in this tank are Cherry Shrimp and Nerite Snails because they go perfect with a SW reef look and will stand out nicely. Consider those with stocking ideas. I'd like some colorful fish. I am leaning at a few Pearl Gouramis, or maybe Cherry Barbs and some other small fish. We'll see. :fish2:

So, here it is. A bit cloudy from yesterday's fill. Your likes and hates, all welcome. I can take it all as I know opinions are strong in aquaria. :cool:

img_2068501_0_6a3ad779cb7902e3e426dd7fae428c19.jpg

img_2068501_1_bd32874a01aac717d247eac7b560c478.jpg

Looks fun.

Do whatever makes you happy, you are the one looking at it!!!

I would scrap the green FW looking plants for other seaweed looking ones, available at petsmart or some live twisted Vals which look similar to little sea weed. I would also add some other small individual plants in front of the edges of the pieces you have there an inch or two away and a couple of ocean looking stones (small pieces) scattered in.

Amano and Cherry shrimp and assorted shell Nerites, look great.

I'm surprised I as I read the description I thought I would hate it, but the pics look pretty good.
as for stock suggestions maybe some galaxy rasboras and a vampire/African filter shrimp for the lobster look, safer than an actual cray

I have a "moon" light on it as well.

Hard to get a good pic with nothing but blue light.

I used one of these, LED Accent Lighting for Aquariums: Marineland LED Bubble Wands Accent Lighting suction cupped to the hinged lid, no air line of course. Way cheaper than buying a moonlight for a real reef, with the same blue light effect and shimmer at night. I use the white version in my 55 and it looks great with green plants and driftwood.

img_2069374_0_1185e937cb303ba2bca779bb780928f2.jpg

... a vampire/African filter shrimp for the lobster look, safer than an actual cray

I never heard of those before and looked them up. Very neat.

It says they are filter feeders. I'm not sure I keep my tanks dirty enough to satisfy their feeding habits.

Have you owned one? How did it do? Did you need to provide micro additives to the water for it to feed?

Commenting to subscribe to this sure to be awesome tank.

How about angelfish? They always remind me of a freshwater version of a moorish idol with their shape, but then again they're one of the more recognizable freshwater fish IMO. I'm always a fan of flame dwarf gouramis, and I have four golden barbs that have amazing color and are very active that would look great in that tank. They're more active than my cherry barbs and with better color.

Little bit of a design update today. Luckily I stock quite a few different plants, so I'm able to try thinks out.

Which do people prefer?

Pic 1, with fake anenome relocated to upper level of coral rock, a few small foreground plants added.

img_2070092_0_8a940a196120685393380885558e7b7e.jpg

Pic 2, anenome removed entirely, more foreground plants. Larger plants moved a bit in the background.

img_2070092_1_8f860ef78ff3764cd22f20e44d62e88d.jpg

I have a box of very nice shells, like a four inch tiger conch, which would make a great mini cave for shy fish and some sand dollars, misc shells and pieces. I just have to find it.

About fish, I've been thinking a small school of kuhli loaches would look nice and exotic for a bottom area fish.

This is the fun part, deciding what to display and how. My larger planted style tank was fine, I've done those before, but this type of SW looking tank is all new to me, so the input from others is appreciated.

I like the second set-up better, but I'd remove a few of the smaller plants in the front or stagger them so that they're not in such a straight of a line, or clump them together in natural little groupings. The thin grassy plants on the left might look nice closer together. I like the anemone thing in the top picture as well. It offers a nice asymmetry.

Also, anything with kuhli loaches gets an A+ from me.

I actually love this tank. In a FW tank, I would probably throw up a little in my mouth with the "loud" colors, but in this SW wannabe tank, it works. Well done! And thank you for not making me barf.

And thank you for not making me barf.

I LOL'd. :lol:

Thanks for the nice comments.

It hasn't all been finalized yet, still deciding on stuff to complete the look.

I'll update as I change things, post for ideas and such.

I like the idea of this very much , cant wait to see the end result :D

Here's the latest pics.

Water is MUCH clearer after tossing the stock Aqueon filter cartridge. It was making the water stink and clouding it up. Never buying those refills, EVER. I stuck in a BIO3 generic cartridge with foam media from Foster Smith and within hours, no stink and crystal clear water.

Anyway, found the shells, tiny sand dollars and other sea stuff. Added to tank by just dropping from the top at random so they'd scatter, then gently pressed them down a bit when they landed at the bottom.

I'm still thinking about taking the anemone out and replacing it elsewhere in the tank with a more realistic model I found. It's smaller too. Also considering the Vallisneria in place of the tall green foliage in there right now as suggested previously.

We're getting close to the final look.

img_2076527_0_c9307115f3c443b19db9be9bf2fcd4cd.jpg

img_2076527_1_67b80c769b12b00309bdcfe8e0aaf4de.jpg

img_2076527_2_787e07edfdef612bbf990a3ccaac57ff.jpg

Back
Top Bottom