The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the upside my hubbie really likes the light sand. I actually caught him tank gazing.

Geez. So now that some of the snails are more active...the Honey Gourami are picking at them. Gourami go bye bye.

Gourami went back to the store yesterday. Picked up a calico bristle nose pleco. Lots of wood in there for him. He’s about 2” now. Dropped a few pellets in and the snails were cruising. The ramshorn I added after I changed the substrate seems fine but I am going to wait at least a month before feeling out of the woods. I ordered the Vivigrow knock off of the Finnex 24/7. The lighting I have is ok but it is on or off. I really like the 24/7 light program.

TM
Several months ago I lost my 6 y.o. Gold Nugget and Broken Line Royal Plecos. Both were very colorful and fun to watch. They also were big time wood knawers. My substrate was covered with manzanita and maylasian saw dust. I replaced them with three Bristlenose Plecos, unknown variety.
Since then, I noticed much cleaner rocks, no algae on the driftwood and best of all, no sawdust. It appears that the BN are more algae eaters than wood, which will likely be more of a benifet. Have not seen the Calico BN variety. This is one of my new ones. I think I will stick to Bristlenose Plecos from now on.

Attachments

• 20180119_193325.jpg
    20180119_193325.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 43
I’ll try to get a pic soon. I was oogling the $12.99 Shrimp in the tank and spotted the pleco. I had no intention of getting a fish but he was tank appropriate and adorable. As he grows he will probably need to move to the 29. But for now he’s good here. I hope it’s a he. Looking forward to some bristles!

Got the new Vivigrow today. If it looked anymore like a Finnex, it would say Finnex. It’s actually 32” long and overhangs the top a bit. But the lights end about 28-29 so the last inch and a half is just taint. IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2951.jpg

I am just going to let it sit on top of the hood.

IMG_2952.jpg

It has a slightly different sensor. IMG_2954.jpg

The controller looks the same. IMG_2956.jpg

I’ve set it for 3pm so let’s wait and see if it shifts to evening light in a few hours. IMG_2955.jpg

That VivaGrow is certainly a clone of the original. Looks like a pretty good fit on the hood.
How is the light cycle going so far?

TM
Several months ago I lost my 6 y.o. Gold Nugget and Broken Line Royal Plecos. Both were very colorful and fun to watch. They also were big time wood knawers. My substrate was covered with manzanita and maylasian saw dust. I replaced them with three Bristlenose Plecos, unknown variety.
Since then, I noticed much cleaner rocks, no algae on the driftwood and best of all, no sawdust. It appears that the BN are more algae eaters than wood, which will likely be more of a benifet. Have not seen the Calico BN variety. This is one of my new ones. I think I will stick to Bristlenose Plecos from now on.

Interesting info about the saw dust I keep finding handfuls of wood flakes swirling around the back of the tank and didn't have a clue what the heck it was and "Pleco sawdust" must be what it is!!! (y) Males making better "caves" possibly? (I have Green Dragons and Mature BN)

PWC today. New Vivigrow light is fine. I like the Finnex better but the Vivigrow was $35. I’ll wait till I have a spare $100 to get the Finnex CC.

The ramshorn I added after the substrate change is still alive!!! Finally things can get back on track.

The 20 Neons I added are still alive too. I figured half of them wouldn’t make it. $1 per fish usually aren’t that tough.

The Pleco is loving the fresh greens and out and about more.

Going to wait at least 3 months before even thinking about adding shrimp. I want the crypts to cover the back wall. Want to add more plants for shrimplette cover too.

IMG_2967.jpg
IMG_2973.jpgIMG_2976.jpg

Back
Top Bottom