The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I think keeping the sand shallow will help me keep it cleaner.
More and more it seems there is a move away from the 2-3" sand bed in favor of the .5-1" amount. The very foundations are shaken!!!

Hmmmm... Makes good sense?!? Just so different from the old way. :popcorn:

More and more it seems there is a move away from the 2-3" sand bed in favor of the .5-1" amount. The very foundations are shaken!!!

Hmmmm... Makes good sense?!? Just so different from the old way. :popcorn:

Yep. Nothing is actually "planted" so I don't need the depth. Now I will be watching and waiting for a berried shrimp!

After a few days and theings look stable, do a 20% pwc with just slightly cooler water, rain water treated to combat any "smog" heavy metals,
or some softer water made with dried Sphagnum moss
or in a container with dry leaves (like oak mulberry, alder, etc) soaking for a few days for the rainy season time to spawn thing.

What is "rain water treated"? I have the RO/DI water handy.

Should I use that and add some leaves to soak?

What is "rain water treated"? I have the RO/DI water handy.

Should I use that and add some leaves to soak?

If you catch rainwater for inducing spawning, rain water isn't always "clean" even if it is just caught in a container out in the yard. I would always treat rainwater with Prime too.

Rain water caught off of roofs is often very contaminated with "smog" pollutants as the roof collects them all day everyday, and swwops them into the rain barrel in a more concentrated than normal amount.

You have RO /DI I forgot. And Yes I would use leaves if I had them or Alder cones also. Soaking the leaves and to make a concentrate you can use.

Using it in a slightly cooler temp as well. I don't do it much cooler as I worry about fish if they are in there. It is the lower temp, TDS or PH of pwc all can stimulate molting and breeding. Try any or all.

Make sure to let the tank settle a little bit after the changing of the substrate is completed.

You can add all of the nice leaf water anytime it is ready. Leaf liter would be a benefit to the babies too. After all you are trying to give them all benefits possible.

As a side note have you run a bag of carbon in there after the substrate change. That might be a help to eliminate anything you wouldn't want in there. Just a week and remove it.

Then do the extra stuff.

Doh! I totally should add some carbon! I'll age some water this week and use it next.

I got the info back from Flip Aquatics. Aka YouTube Lupdiesel. I added the carbon to the filter tonight. I haven't spotted any bodies the past few days.

IMG_9403.jpg

Pretty scary. I rinsed the heck out of it before I put it in the tank. But with cold water only. I saw a residue form on the top of the water after I removed the sand in a bucket. I have no idea for certain what it was exactly. But something was killing off shrimp.

Ok I found my carbon, rinsed the heck out of it in Prime treated water and put it in the canister.

But now I am out. Looking at buying more carbon to keep on hand. But should I consider purigen or chemipure elite instead?

I'm sorry you are going through this.
You just saved me from buying Black Diamond Sand. Thank you

Awesome! So many people use it without issues. It's really the luck of the draw do you get a bad bag or not. Critters aren't worth the risk.

Purigen is a great product - count me in the fan club. I am not positive all that it will do. Carbon is a very useful tool, use both just in case???

Just took a peek at the Chemi Pure Elite and wow does it sound great.

It does doesn't it !

But you can't recharge it like purigen.

I've been reading the different labels looking for an idiot proof one that says "removes all the bad stuff from your water".

Back
Top Bottom