The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bit the bullet and ordered the Tahitian moon sand. I know Flip Aquatics stopped using it because of problems with shrimp. Something about how it is processed and chemical residue but I can't find the video again for the details. But it will be a slower change out. I will remove all of the black diamond while I'm siphoning water for the PWC a bit at a time. Probably take a month. But I will keep the new sand in old tank water from my main tank to age it a bit before adding sand back. I've emailed Flip Aquatics to try and get the details.

I put some of the black diamond sand in a tray. Sure looks oily to me. View attachment 299418

Same experience as well with BDS. Some one had suggested a drop of Dawn detergent during the rinsing process to remove the oily. Was not sure that I would proceed with that route so I ended up getting Percocet black sand (which is more like painted grit particles).

Same experience as well with BDS. Some one had suggested a drop of Dawn detergent during the rinsing process to remove the oily. Was not sure that I would proceed with that route so I ended up getting Percocet black sand (which is more like painted grit particles).

THANK YOU for the validation. So many people love the BDS and how pretty and inexpensive it is. But if you happen to get a bag where this happens it's really hard to find info that it is a possibility. I am still removing it. And still seeing casualties. I think I need to escalate the shift and get it out of there asap. Poor little Shrimps.

Wow. :'( So sorry you are having a bad experience like this. It IS good for future people to know of the issues. Won't ever suggest this substance to anyone for a tank, and will always mention these negative possibilities as food for though for future. This really sucks.

Yep. Removed more sand today and found lots of bodies. I am refilling the water now (4g) on a slow flow. I will remove the last 1/4 of the BDS tomorrow. I rinsed it really well before I used it and didn't notice an oil. But once it sits without to flow from the filter it does start to float to the surface.

I added moss and floating plants. It's a mess right now but the shrimp are grazing. IMG_9370.jpg

Yesterday after removing BDS the shrimp perked up by the evening. Swimming in the front begging for dinner.

This afternoon I removed the last of it and a few gallons of water.

I added 1/4-1/2 inch of the Tahitian Moon. Rearranged plants to give order to the madness and topped it off.

Fingers crossed they make a come back.

Baby mystery snails all over the place too.

IMG_9384.jpg
IMG_9380.jpgIMG_9382.jpgIMG_9383.jpg

I think this is a pond snail? It's as big as my pinkie! I didn't know that got that big. IMG_9378.jpg

Interesting observations with the BDS removal. The new sand looks nice.
Yes, that is a pond snail and they can get huge, relatively speaking (7 cm; 2.75")

Time will tell on the BDS. If they stop dropping dead and start thriving.

Can't wait for a pond SNAILZILLA!

Time will tell on the BDS. If they stop dropping dead and start thriving.

Can't wait for a pond SNAILZILLA!

Cheers towards a perky community of shrimp revitalization. Hahahaha right now it is snailzilla!!!

Biggest one I have seen was around 1.5-1.75" in someone elses tank. Biggest one in mine has been just over .75" Land of the little ones. I thought of you night before when I saw a Planaria slithering across the glass in my shrimp and snail bowl. :eek:

Here's to a fresh start for the shrimpies!

Back
Top Bottom