TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah some new growth out of the dhg, im not very optimistic though, i know how tough it is to grow. I do want to make the switch to sand or ecocomplete in the near future. The diy Co2 seems to be delivering so far.. only dosing api leaf zone aside from that. I'll try to get a FTS on the reef soon!

My dropped severum has done great, I was pretty concerned initially but he has done well. So far the gramma is OK, just hiding a lot. Still somewhat frustrating.

Glad to hear :) Sevs are beauties!

Ive dropped a fish or two. When i first got my Oscar i had to use my hands to move it, and it had a really thick slimy slime-coat. Wriggled right out of my hands and flopped around. It was only a 18 inch drop onto carpet though. It was big enough to take the fall, the O was almost 6 inches, as i bought him at a large size. I was mad at myself, but it gave me extra motivation to take care of the tank so it would heal.

My Oscar lived a darn tough life in my hands, sorry to say. At least it was alone and happy for most of the time...

But fish are tough :) Don't count them out of the game of life until you are counting bodies.

Thats really kind of morbid...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Oh and in some extra good news despite lots of java fern getting munched a few stems of bacopa have gone totally unnoticed in the south/central American tank. Seems like if I provide some floating plants the sevs will ignore the rooted plants, if it keeps up I'll add more bacopa knowing it may turn to sev food.

Cool! Ive heard most people have bad luck with Sevs and plants. Its awesome to see that you have gotten it to work out, for now at least :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Lol I've dropped my crayfish because they can wriggle out of the net and climb. He was fine though.

They are basically moving rocks. They have shells, or did you forget lol?

;)

So to update.

The nano tank is doing well, diy co2 has helped greatly. Tannins are still leaching from the DW, a little algae as well, but great plant growth. All 3 guppies are doing good.

The 60 gallon African cichlid tank is unchanged, everyone is doing good and growing.my female peacock is holding eggs again. This is the sixth time though I've yet to get babies. I swear my acei and yellow lab schools think they are gang bangers with a turf war. Never any injuries but they play chase a lot.

The central/south american tank is doing good. The baby sevs and baby firemouth are growing quickly. The clown and cherry barbs are all still alive and doing well, great colors on the male Cherry's. My money is on the quality foods.

The saltwater 20 is interesting as always. I haven't seen the royal gramma in two weeks so I'm thinking he may be gone. There are some interesting unplanned growths in the tank, featherdusters, aiptasia and some garnet colored growths extending out.
Last year on my beach vacation I found an absolutely perfect small spiral type shell(conch I believe), i brought it home and added it to the tank, today I discovered one of my blue leg hermits wearing it, that's totally awesome. A fire fish goby is in this tanks near future, if the gramma doesn't surface in a few weeks I'll be adding another.

I would check your rock for the gramma. When I had mine he had a knack for getting into the tightest spots and not wanting to come out. If yours was frightened it could have rammed into the rock and gotten stuck.

So to update.

The nano tank is doing well, diy co2 has helped greatly. Tannins are still leaching from the DW, a little algae as well, but great plant growth. All 3 guppies are doing good.

The 60 gallon African cichlid tank is unchanged, everyone is doing good and growing.my female peacock is holding eggs again. This is the sixth time though I've yet to get babies. I swear my acei and yellow lab schools think they are gang bangers with a turf war. Never any injuries but they play chase a lot.

The central/south american tank is doing good. The baby sevs and baby firemouth are growing quickly. The clown and cherry barbs are all still alive and doing well, great colors on the male Cherry's. My money is on the quality foods.

The saltwater 20 is interesting as always. I haven't seen the royal gramma in two weeks so I'm thinking he may be gone. There are some interesting unplanned growths in the tank, featherdusters, aiptasia and some garnet colored growths extending out.
Last year on my beach vacation I found an absolutely perfect small spiral type shell(conch I believe), i brought it home and added it to the tank, today I discovered one of my blue leg hermits wearing it, that's totally awesome. A fire fish goby is in this tanks near future, if the gramma doesn't surface in a few weeks I'll be adding another.

I'm sorry if you already addressed this but what are you feeding? You refered to success because of high quality foods. I'm always looking to try new and better products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got a shot of the overgrown nano tank.

I really only planted most of it to root it and see what grew. Now its a bit of a forest. I'm going to rescape in the next week or so.

I really only planted most of it to root it and see what grew. Now its a bit of a forest. I'm going to rescape in the next week or so.

Fish really wanted to get in that first shot :dance:

That's some healthy looking plants! Doing good dude ??

Caleb

Fish really wanted to get in that first shot :dance:

Yes, now if only i could get them to participate when its time for their close up. Theyre some of the most beautiful guppies ive seen and yet i dont have a single decent shot of them.

That's some healthy looking plants! Doing good dude ??

Caleb

thanks Caleb. They're hanging in there so I'm pretty stoked. The java fern and anubias were two of my first plants and they show some rough patches. I'm thinking of removing both to be severum food. The best news is I've kept DHG alive and green for 6 weeks. That's what I'm stoked for.

Nice top down broooo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Meh its pretty OK I guess. None of dem reds dough... none of that planted tank witchcraft/sorcery you guys be up to.

Yes, now if only i could get them to participate when its time for their close up. Theyre some of the most beautiful guppies ive seen and yet i dont have a single decent shot of them.

I can't totally relate! Both the Endlers and forktails drive me crazy....out of 100 pictures I get maybe one I'm happy with :blink::rolleyes:

Thanks nils, its doing good so far.

More pics from the Firemouth/Severum tank.

Here is the firemouth showing off. He has grown up a lot.

Its usually calm and fish are swimming freely, then you approach with a camera to find a swarming hungry ball of fish.

Yeah, 2 growing hungry severums. They were sold as both greens but I haven't found much info on distinguishing the types as juvies, if even possible. One tends to stay darker, a medium green, the other stays lighter, like a gold color. Not sure if its a dominance thing or if one is a gold.
Currently sitting at
1 Firemouth
2 Sevs
4 clown barbs
8 cherry barbs.
Its an interesting tank to watch, the clown barbs are little sharks, constantly stunting and twisting, on the move. The Cherry's are more laid back but still cruise a lot, the firemouth just patrols.

Back
Top Bottom