TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been wanting to document my tanks progresses in a new thread, the old threads were pretty outdated. Although I will likely start new threads for specific tank builds I plan to do 90% of my updates through this thread so please subscribe and follow along. I encourage and welcome all comments and really enjoy any discussion on the topic of fish.
I've placed this thread in cichlid discussion as the majority of my tanks are cichlids but I do have the 5.5 gallon planted and am currently working on a new saltwater setup and will update info on those tanks here as well, however it will be mostly cichlid related. I'm in the process of getting updated pics and descriptions of my tanks ready so stay tuned.

Brookster- like all good things give it time, this will be pretty pic heavy.

Spacefish- I'm a racer, TMRC actually stands for Track Monster Race Crew. The acronym of TMRC is something I've used in different aspects for many things, its actually pretty synonymous with me to those with people who know me. That and the numbers 5 and 03 which I race.

Here is my 60 gallon Malawi tank. I still have a few outliers who will be moved to more appropriate tanks soon but the tank has a nice balance.

Tank:
Marineland 60 gallon

Filtration:
Marineland penguin 350
Aqueon 75 gallon
Total 750 Gph filtration

Lighting: stock marineland dual fluorescent tubes.

Substrate:
Sand

Stock:
2 peacock cichlids
3 electric yellow labs
4 yellow tail acei
1 convict (soon to be moved)
1 rainbow shark

This tank has been established for six months. I've owned the peacocks for a year and a half.

Attachments

• 1435458808321.jpg
    1435458808321.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 1435458828636.jpg
    1435458828636.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 1435458843174.jpg
    1435458843174.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 302
As of tomorrow we will begin setup on our 20 high saltwater setup. We purchased 15 pounds of base rock today with plans to cycle and add 5 lbs of live rock. The tank will eventually include a clown, some goby or blenny, some inverts and some easier corals. My wife and I have done the research and feel comfortable taking on the challenge.

Not tryin to hijack, just noticed you have the same tank as me. This is my newest setup...

Cascade 1000 canister
Aqueon 55 HOB
Aqua tech 30-60 HOB

845 gph total

4 rusty
3 red zebra
3 socolofi
2 kenyii
2 acei
1 yellow lab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435460669225.jpg
    1435460669225.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 272
In posting that info i realized i have a aqeon 50 on my 60gal tank that i should probably switch with my aqueon 75 thats on my 13gal grow out tank hahaha... my grow out tank has an aqeon 75 and 50 on it... talk about overkill...

That aqueon 75 is a solid filter. I like mine a lot. 400 gph and lots of room for media and mine was $37 at the big box store.

I also want to add that the added acei and lab have really perked this tank up. The acei school together almost constantly and the electric yellows like to hang together as well.
I'm going to swap out to a more natural slate decor in a few months and I think their behavior in their natural environment will be awesome. All in all I'm really happy with where this tank has come.

True that!

I have another tank with 5 acei in there. Trying to grow them out a bit so they can join the others... they are pretty neat since they really stick together... i currently have an acei AND a rusty holding so im pretty excited to see how many acei i get!

Attachments

• 1435510514288.jpg
    1435510514288.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 245
I truly can't overstate the joy my african cichlid tank is bringing me. These yellow tail acei have brought out a dynamic I haven't seen in cichlid tanks. The schooling behavior has made the tank an interesting backdrop of schooling and solitary cichlids. I truly believe that by adding 2 more acei, 1 more electric yellow, and 3 more female peacocks that I will have reached my ideal stocking (having removed the convict and possibly the rainbow shark)

I'm so happy with the look and vibe with the tank. All are coexisting well.

5.5 gallon nano tank
Top fin 10 filter
Gravel substrate
Finnex planted+ lighting

Flora
Anubias Nana
Java Fern

Fauna
Male guppy
2 harlequin rasboras

This tank has been set up for around 3 months. The plants were the Petco plastic tube variety and all things considered (low to no tech) have grown decently. No problems between the guppy and harlequins. The guppy was young and small when we got him, he has grown like a weed and colored up nicely.

After setup shot

Here is a current shot

I've made progress on the saltwater tank but so far still not filled. I've got 20 gallons of distilled water sitting here, the sand and rock is rinsed and in the tank. The filter, heater, and power head are all sitting here ready. I'm still needing a refractometer, test kit and lights capable of coral growth. I'm looking into a HOB fuge and another power head as well.

I'm still working on my plans for my central american cichlid tank but currently still have to rehome my psuedotropheus crabro before that can happen. Its also one project at a time with the amount I've spent on this reef tank. Its rapidly approaching $1000 for a 20 gallon!

Ya. As a "child" i still don't have a full time job, which is the only reason i don't do something with saltwater... The freswater tanks are expensiveenough! And the money i make in the summer isn't even to support more pets than i have much less spend a zillion dollars on saltwater... If i could i would do either clownfish or triggerfish...

Sent from a cave in the eastward side o a sand dune.

Ya. As a "child" i still don't have a full time job, which is the only reason i don't do something with saltwater... The freswater tanks are expensiveenough! And the money i make in the summer isn't even to support more pets than i have much less spend a zillion dollars on saltwater... If i could i would do either clownfish or triggerfish...

If you just do a FO or a FOWLR it's really not that bad. Reef is where it gets expensive because then lighting matters and the use of RODI plus reef grade salt. Just extras that are not needed in a FOWLR.

And yes TMRC I've been silently following along :)

Caleb

I would like to say that you helped me...

Truth be told i have no idea what those terms mean...

Im just sticking to my freshwater tanks until have some real income... Because after i save some )so i can move out so i when I'm 18 so i don't have to have tanks lining the walls of my bedroom and they can go someplace else) I'm not left with too much to spare after paying for lizards, frogs, and fish...

But I've been starting to do a bit of research on the basics of saltwater... So the time will come, some day...

Glad to see your here Caleb.

Spent an hour in Petco today shopping around. All of this time spent and I left with two items. A pack of purigen and a bottle of NLS thera+ A. SCORE. I hadn't saw Petco carried NLS and was actually about to order some, I was happy to find it there. I'll be watching for any changes in cichlid coloration. I think I might get some of their cichlid formula to help vary the diet. Some spirulina would be a good idea as well I'm thinking? What else past that? Perhaps some hikari blood worms for treats?

Today I should hopefully get my saltwater in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
First feeding with the NLS Thera+A was a big success. This fish devoured it. You can smell the garlic. I think the strong smell helps the fish find it. A few pieces hit the sand in obscure places and were quickly found.

Following.

I like the idea of one thread....I have a few build threads out there and have been absolutely terrible about updating :hide:

And now the premiere of our 20 high saltwater reef. Just setup so its nice and cloudy. Not going to be a lot of activity on this one until its cycled.
Currently an aquaclear 30 Hob and 225 gph power head with a 20 pound sand bed and 16 pounds of base rock. We will end up at around 22-23 pounds of live rock when done. I want to add 6-8 pounds of live rock near the end of cycle. Many updates to come on this project. Be sure to follow the thread @ http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335436

Adding live rock to the start of the cycle can actually help as well, as much of the algae and other living things on the rock die off and give the tank an ammonia source

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom