Upgrading 20 gal Hex Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Youngstownfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone, so when I first got this tank it was sitting on the side of the road in someone's trash. I rescued it and it has been set up for about 6 months.

I recently took everything out and transferred everything to another tank temporarily.

I wanted to display such a wonderful find properly. So here is what I'm currently working on.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412209035.634379.jpg
This 1st pic is right before I took everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everything is in a 10 gal right now. (I know it's small but all I had and has plenty of filtration.)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412209221.657365.jpg

I was thinking either black or grey gravel to replace this old stuff. Any suggestion on any brands and also I want to change the lighting. What would be best for such a deep tank?

Both look great! Good work! Lovely plants!

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412270915.505398.jpg

Got everything out except gravel and some water! More pics to come for whoever is following the build.

Picked up the stand from CL yesterday but it needs some work ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412271028.592652.jpg

I can't believe someone would throw that out

I know!! And I just happened to see it on the side of the road a couple of houses down from me. What an amazing find it was and it basically got me in to fish keeping. Thanks to the people who had no idea what they really had!

Everyone I apologise,not trying to hijack the op's thread..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Got a lot done with the stand finally. Too many angles to cut lol I had to build up the top and build a floor for the base of the standImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416533755.245797.jpg

Also got the plumbing rigged up to the DIY canister filterImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416533816.127258.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416533844.188136.jpg

Cool looking tank. I have my eye on one of these I was thinking of putting a rock pillar in the middle and running the pipes and everything there. w/ the pump on top.

I like your setup now though. I think I might change my design.

Have fun!

Diy canister filter??please do explain!!

Well first I watched the video on how to make a canister filter by the DIY Aquapros on YouTube. I was able to find the exact same 2 gallon water cooler that they used so it made the build a lot easier. YouTube was very helpful in making this haha

Not bad at all! Had a test run the other night after cementing all the pvc joints. Only found 1 leak after 15 minutes so it seems ok! Water flow was perfect

Dont know where those random pics came from, lol.

What an awesome find! I love hex and tall tanks more than the traditional ones. Looks like you are on the right track. I would do black gravel as fish like it and its just pleasing on the eye against the green of the plants. Congrats, I want to find one now too!

Dont know where those random pics came from, lol.

What an awesome find! I love hex and tall tanks more than the traditional ones. Looks like you are on the right track. I would do black gravel as fish like it and its just pleasing on the eye against the green of the plants. Congrats, I want to find one now too!

Black gravel was exactly what I was thinks! I'm going to paint the whole stand black with white trim on the top and bottom so the black gravel and back stand will make the green plants look amazing

Been a long time! But I finally got the stand completely done and the hood came in for the hex tank! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431361321.761666.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431361337.508429.jpg

Looks awesome. I like the revamp you done on the stand. I have a big 65g hex that needs some loving whenever I can find the time

Back
Top Bottom