Video Journal: 75G Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just added what I believe to be 7 true SAE's

I may be wrong here but some of those get brutal when they grow up.. it may actually be cae but I think they are often confused.. if you se them going after the other fishs' slime coat or worse, eyeballs than yank em quick.. otherwise they are a great utility fish I believe..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the true SAE is actually great community fish. the problem is alot of people buy false sae or Chinese algae eaters which are not the same temperament. I will most definitely keep a close eye on them for a while :)

through my research about being able to id these fish I truly believe I got the right ones.

I hope so, I've heard they are extremely beneficial in that they actually feed on algae.. I've just seen the you tube videos of the cae attacking big cichlids and what not.. nasty little things..
Ps..you get my pm? Didn't want to interrupt Ian's thread..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Thank you,

For a low tech tank with no co2/excel it has been performing great. It just goes to show that you can have a nice tank with healthy growth with no algae and no co2.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My SAE's have been going to town on my moss. For this reason and because I really don't like it as much as I thought I would, I am going to.remove it all and use a combo of anubias and ferns of the driftwood to.cover it up.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is a quick shot of the tank from just moments ago. I will be making a new video on friday where I will be talking about some of the new plants I have added and an update on the SAE's and current algae situation.

Thanks for looking :)

Added 250ml of purigen in a bag to my filter, wow is the water ever clear now. Highly recommend this product to anyone and everyone after seeing the results.

Debating the ideal of jumping my photo period up another hour. currently running 9 hours and still no sign of any algae. I will keep it 9 hours for maybe another week or 2 before bumping it up. But 10 hours is the plan for the near future.

You can see the heater has been moved up, this is to allow the newly added jungle val in the back to grow without interference. I will hide it back there again once its all grown up to the top.

Siamese Algae Eaters are showing behaviour which I believe is mating type behaviour. I will be observing them and see if anything comes from it.

Plants are all growing better now that I have increased my ferts a bit more. This is a good sign and I will continue to dose this way for several more weeks before possible upping the amounts again. I realize how important it is to make small adjustments over a long period of time. Observing for any changes good or bad and learning from them. This is how I have been able to keep algae free and constantly improving my tank.

New plants added:

30 x Jungle Val (small plants in the back, will cover back wall)
Eurasian Milfoil
Bolbitis
Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia
Anacharis Canadensis
Aponogeton Undulatus
More sunset hygro
More Ludwigia Repens

Video update will be coming soon, I have just been super busy lately.

Really woodsy! Love it! Would be happy in front of it for hours! Great job!!!

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Video update:
Video 5: Tank update - YouTube

Photoperiod: was 9 hours daily, now 10 hours a day via timer.

Dosing old vs new:
old
1/4 tsp kno3 2x/weekly
1/10 tsp kh2po4 2x/weekly
1/10 tsp plantex csm+b 2x/weekly

New
1/2 tsp k2so4 2x/weekly
1/4 tsp kh2po4 2x/ weekly
1/4 tsp plantex csm+b 2x/weekly

Green Spot Algae (GSA): I believe this is caused from low Phosphates, will see how the new dosing effects this algae in coming weeks.

Pin holes that continue to get larger with yellowing around the edges. I think this is caused my low potassium. Again, I will observe if this condition continues while dosing more potassium. This deficiency is really only noticeable on the hygro kompact.

Random Pics:

Back
Top Bottom