Watsonja4's Planted Journey "Fluval Spec V Build"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you have seen some of my other threads then you probably know I have been planning this for a couple of weeks. So after doing some shopping I finally found the best price on eBay and picked this tank up for $81.00 shipped.:dance:
104138-albums14554-picture70315.jpg

While I was at it I also picked up a little hydor 25w heater. I had read threads with people running this heater in spec tanks and since its hidden from view it didn't need to be anything special.
104138-albums14554-picture70316.jpg

That's it for now I will post more pictures when I get the tank put together and put in place. Hopefully tomorrow I can run to my lfs and get substrate, driftwood, and a rock or two.:D

Thanks, hopefully the learning curve will not be to steep. I am looking for a good place to order plants, any online vendors that you guys recommend? I am thinking a Java fern, various crypts, and some anubias varieties.

Sorry for not bringing more updates as planned, but after yesterdays trip to Petco my game plan has been flipped on its head. So now for the updates and pictures and you can what I mean.

Update #1. I decided to put the tank on the half wall between the kitchen and living room so it can be viewed from both sides and also decided to go with a black Fluorite after looking at the red for about ten minutes. I also picked up a small piece of driftwood for a centerpiece and a few river rocks for contrast.
104138-albums14554-picture70323.jpeg

104138-albums14554-picture70324.jpeg

Update #2. This is the part that has thrown my game plan into a bit of a spin.
You know how when you walk into Petco they have this little shelf with betta's on it placed in a spot that will catch you and your families attention immediately, well it caught mine. So here is Speedy my new double tail betta.
104138-albums14554-picture70325.jpeg

Update #3. This is a picture of the tank as of today. I have not ordered plants yet but I am thanking this list.
2x Anubias nana "petite"
1x Java Fern
1x Cryptocoryne wendtii "red"
1x Cryptocoryne undulata
I would also like some type of grass any ideas?
104138-albums14554-picture70326.jpeg

Thanks, hopefully the learning curve will not be to steep. I am looking for a good place to order plants, any online vendors that you guys recommend? I am thinking a Java fern, various crypts, and some anubias varieties.

I bought mine from Planted Aquarium Central and was very happy with the service and the quality of the plants: Planted Aquariums Central Live Aquarium Plants

Sorry for not bringing more updates as planned, but after yesterdays trip to Petco my game plan has been flipped on its head. So now for the updates and pictures and you can what I mean.

(snip!)

Well, first, that's a really handsome betta. I love red ones. And that's a nice looking piece of wood, too -- Malaysian driftwood? If so, get ready for a lot of tannin. I boiled the heck out of mine, and it still put out tons. Thankfully, it won't hurt the fish and it can be removed with carbon.

Did you add some already cycled media to your filter? If not, you're doing a fish-in cycle. Be sure to monitor your ammonia and nitrites daily until the cycle finishes.

Looks like a great start! :D

(snip!)

Well, first, that's a really handsome betta. I love red ones. And that's a nice looking piece of wood, too -- Malaysian driftwood? If so, get ready for a lot of tannin. I boiled the heck out of mine, and it still put out tons. Thankfully, it won't hurt the fish and it can be removed with carbon.

Did you add some already cycled media to your filter? If not, you're doing a fish-in cycle. Be sure to monitor your ammonia and nitrites daily until the cycle finishes.

Looks like a great start! :D

Thanks he is the first double tail I have ever seen. I was told it was cypress but it looks Malaysian to me. I put some gravel and bio-rings in the filter box from my established 45 so it should be seeded, unfortunately my tap water has ammonia in it so I have .5ppm ammonia already. I am dosing with prime and if the ammonia gets out of control I can always move the betta to a breeder net inside the 45.

Well not much new to report while I wait on plants so I decided I would bring you guys a new picture and my latest water parameters since this is a fish-in cycle. The water tests as of today are .5ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 10ppm nitrates. I am thinking the seeded media is keeping up with the bio-load since my ammonia and nitrites have flat-lined and nitrates have been climbing, hopefully the cycle will complete in a few more days. Now for the picture with Speedy in all his glory.:fish1:

104138-albums14554-picture70327.jpeg

I like the tank. The driftwood looks good. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you add some plants. I really think Speedy will love being able to view life on both sides of his tank. Bettas are friendly and inquisitive fish so i think he will enjoy living there as much as you enjoy watching him.

Watsonja4's Planted Journey "Fluval Spec V Build"

Tank is looking good! Also interested on seeing it with the plants in. The black substrate looks nice - darker than I thought it would be.

Tank is looking good! Also interested on seeing it with the plants in. The black substrate looks nice - darker than I thought it would be.

Thanks, plants should be in Thursday hopefully. I am wondering if I should add more substrate, it is about 1.75in deep in the front and slopes up to about 2.5in in the back. I'm new to plants so not sure on what to do. Also do I need to buy any ferts besides root tabs for the crypts?

Thanks, plants should be in Thursday hopefully. I am wondering if I should add more substrate, it is about 1.75in deep in the front and slopes up to about 2.5in in the back. I'm new to plants so not sure on what to do. Also do I need to buy any ferts besides root tabs for the crypts?

I think you've got plenty right now. Is this a plant substrate, or inert sand/gravel?

That'll be good for the rooted plants. I might pick up something for the ater column, such as Flourish.
I will pick some up tomorrow, I need to pick up some plant tweezers and look for a different betta food also. Betta's are so picky, I bought the most expensive pellets Petco had and he turns his nose up at them.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom