Watsonja4's Planted Journey "Fluval Spec V Build"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I went to dry ferts, I used a combination of API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. In my low light shrimp tank (when it had crypts only), I only used root pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Before I went to dry ferts, I used a combination of API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. In my low light shrimp tank (when it had crypts only), I only used root pellets.

How did you use them together? Did you alternate them or give a half dose of each? I'm not for sure if my lfs had api ferts but I can always run into Petco next time I'm in town.

Looks at pellet for a second:huh: then looks at you like "you really think I'm gonna eat that?".:facepalm:

Lol - or when they eat it and you think 'yes! So worth buying', then spit it out 2 seconds later....

Did you pick up the plant tweezers at all? Was curious what stock they had.

How did you use them together? Did you alternate them or give a half dose of each? I'm not for sure if my lfs had api ferts but I can always run into Petco next time I'm in town.

I used them together, probably twice a week. Full dosages I think. At the time I did not monitor nitrates and phosphates. I sort of do now and I try to keep the former down (10-20 ppm) and the latter high (2-5 ppm).

Did you pick up the plant tweezers at all? Was curious what stock they had.

Petco only had a all-in-one tool that had switchable heads, it looked good but was to big for this tank so I purchased these at my LFS. I also looked high and low for API leaf zone but could did not find any, guess I will order it online.
104138-albums14554-picture70334.jpeg

My plants finally came in today and after about an hour of cursing the plant tweezer I finally finished. Plants are Anubias Nana "petite", Dwarf Hairgrass, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne Wendii "red", and Cryptocoryne Undulata. I ended up having more plants than I needed so I planted the crypts together and decided to leave the hairgrass in clumps since I really didn't want a carpet. Here's the Pics:D
104138-albums14554-picture70332.jpeg

104138-albums14554-picture70333.jpeg

Almost forgot to ask, should I go ahead and dose flourish comprehensive now or give the plants a few days to establish themselves?

Almost forgot to ask, should I go ahead and dose flourish comprehensive now or give the plants a few days to establish themselves?

I don't see a reason why you can't feed them now. Any excess should be handled by water changes.

I recall one of the hosts on (the apparently defunct) ScapeFu podcast saying they waited a week before dosing fertilizers. I did the same, and it seemed to work fine. No bad effects, at least.

And my sympathies on the tweezers. It's apparently a learned skill... and I'm taking a long time to learn it. :bad-words:

I've given up and gone back to fingers :)

It depends on the space I have to work with. With tweezers I find that after setting the plant in the substrate, when pulling the tweezers back the plant is often pulled out of the substrate. Which is often followed by colorful language. What I found that works is instead of pulling the tweezers up, pulling them to the side is less disruptive.

It depends on the space I have to work with. With tweezers I find that after setting the plant in the substrate, when pulling the tweezers back the plant is often pulled out of the substrate. Which is often followed by colorful language. What I found that works is instead of pulling the tweezers up, pulling them to the side is less disruptive.

Soil is great for planting. Once the tweezers go through the soft gravel layer you feel the nice satisfying plug in to the dirt and the plant just abides.

Getting them out is another story that includes colourful language.

Trust me I tried to use my fingers but my hand is almost the same width as the tank plus the man-eating fish kept tasting my arm.

Haha. The curved tweezers take a little practice. I wouldn't be without a pair now. I pull down to the desired depth, release my grip and wiggle the tweezers slightly while pulling away from the plant. Looks nice with the plants in.

No tweezers shall defeat me! :ninja:

Lol - I wasn't too bad on tweezers at the tank front where I can see but at the tank back sometimes I'm just going by touch as it has gotten a bit overgrown in places. I do all the tweezer wriggle and reverse, only to realise the plant had departed from the tweezers 20 seconds ago :(

Back
Top Bottom