Watsonja4's Planted Journey "Fluval Spec V Build"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the set up! My 10g didn't do as well... I think I may have to change substrate and stick to fake plants in the small tank.

My thread was the one about the sponge and the betta. :D I still have to do that to put Patriot back in his rightful home. I moved him to the 2.5g so that way whatever was going wrong in that tank wouldn't bother him too much.

Thanks, Whats happening in your 10g exactly? I am having horrible algae problems with this tank and I am really at a loss as to what type of algae it is and what to do about it. My current routine with this tank is 20-25% weekly water changes and dosing flourish and leaf zone once a week with a 4on-4off-4on light schedule.

Thanks, Whats happening in your 10g exactly? I am having horrible algae problems with this tank and I am really at a loss as to what type of algae it is and what to do about it. My current routine with this tank is 20-25% weekly water changes and dosing flourish and leaf zone once a week with a 4on-4off-4on light schedule.

Well, the cherry barbs didn't survive. Patriot is still doing well, but I think I tried my first planted tank on too small of a level. So,... I'm going to remove that substrate (put it in my 55g with the rest of the flourite) and then probably move the tank downstairs to where the 38g was running and move the white sand from that tank (some of it anyway) and put it into the 10g. I think if the 10g isn't planted, it'll work out better. :)

From the pics it looks like diatoms. The one with the algae on the crypt leaf. If they are then they are nothing to worry about in a new tank and will go away on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are a few pictures of the current algae situation. I am thinking it's multiple types so maybe you guys can help.
104138-albums14554-picture70363.jpg

104138-albums14554-picture70362.jpg

104138-albums14554-picture70361.jpg

Some forms of algae can come from poor water circulation around plants...I wonder if you betta-fix with the water inlet is an algae-aide...

:fish2:

The second picture looks like diatoms for sure. The others might be a bit of BBA or staghorn. I get it forming on the edges of sword leaves like you. Not seen it since I corrected my parameters though.

Not enough co2 was my issue. I'm thinking yours is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys for the help, I called my lfs about excel and they are out so probably Monday or Tuesday before I can get some. I do have a little good news, the stuff on the driftwood is gone. My Nerite Snail trio went to town today while I was at work:dance:, if only they where small enough to get on the plants I would have this thing beat.

Keep me posted on the progress as I have this same tank on its way to me now. I bought "Algae-off" product for my other tank. It said not to use with shrimp but my cherries are fine.

I am worried now too that I may also have algae issues in there. :(

So I am living vicariously through you now. I wonder if water flow played a part at all.

Should I post a "blog" on making my tank as well? It wouldn't be very original...as yours is here. Maybe just and "after" photo? :ermm:

Keep me posted on the progress as I have this same tank on its way to me now. I bought "Algae-off" product for my other tank. It said not to use with shrimp but my cherries are fine.

I am worried now too that I may also have algae issues in there. :(

So I am living vicariously through you now. I wonder if water flow played a part at all.

Should I post a "blog" on making my tank as well? It wouldn't be very original...as yours is here. Maybe just and "after" photo? :ermm:

My algae problems are actually getting better now. The tank is pretty much clean except for areas that the snails can't reach. I am thinking what's left will be remedied by flourish excel so fingers crossed.

Yes please post, I love watching build threads. I am sure mine is not the first spec v build on here.

Back
Top Bottom